Chapter 5

rhiannon's P.O.V.

-----------------

Owch! That really hurt!

Luke dug me in the ribs in the middle of me and Jai's kiss, the bastard!

I'm an extremely ticklish person so naturally my reaction to being tickled is arms and legs flying around, breaking everything in sight which has included noses before...

I fell to the ground and I smacked my head off the floor. It was throbbing so badly, I went to put my hand up to it. I could hear the rest of them laughing at me.

Selfish pricks I thought to myself as shooting pains went up through my body.

I couldn't move my hand!

I tried desperately but it was as though my body was made of lead, my hand felt like a weight. I couldn't move!!

Slowly I began feeling dizzy.

The laughter had died down now.

I could hear Mairi's voice faintly, it sounded distant, like she was shouting from a while away.

I felt my body being lifted by strong arms and I was placed somewhere, that's when the numbness took over.

My mind felt like cotton wool. I couldn't think properly. I couldn't hear properly, I couldn't move, I couldn't even open my eyes! It was torturous not having control.

I saw the swirling, galaxy like patterns that I often see when I rub my eyes too hard. They were so pretty. I focused on them for a little while, watching the bright white dots whizz in every direction like shooting stars...

---------

*Beep* *Beep* *Beep* *Beep* *Beep*

God that was annoying!

Could they not turn it off? I mean, there's people trying to rest here!

I was startled when I felt something lean on my stomach.

I have no idea how long I had been unconscious. I mean, I know I was technically unconscious now but I sort of fell asleep in my unconscious state and now I was woken up... Yet still unconscious... Are you still with me?

Okay, good!

I felt the... Whatever it was, get off my stomach and brush my hair out of my face. I made a desperate attempt at opening my eyes but they seemed to be having none of it.

"Please rhiannon, wake up! I want to see what colour your eyes are today. Remember you told me the other night in the restaurant? That your eyes change colour from grey to green to blue! But they are never ever the same shade. Remember that? If you do, just give us a nod. Just quickly, to show me that you can hear me. So I know I'm not just talking to myself. Please rhiannon, just do something... Anything..."

It was Jai's voice. The last part came out all cracked and broken.

I desperately wanted to shout out, 'I can hear you! I love you Jai, don't be sad!'

But try as I might, the words wouldn't come out.

I sensed him getting out of the chair. He leaned over me and kissed my forehead then I heard him walk out of the room. I heard a sniffle before he left, was it him?

I heard different footsteps come in this time, familiar footsteps, it was Mairi.

"Hey rhiannon" she said. Her voice was hoarse. As though she had been crying recently.

All I wanted to do was to reach out and hug her. I can't stand to hear my best friend crying, even upset. It kills me. Mairi was my best friend and if only I could just move I could make her happy but of course the one thing I needed to do, I couldn't.

God why do I always mess things up?!

Why am I always the centre of attention for the bad reasons?

Why do I destroy the people around me?

I'm just a bad luck charm. I couldn't even do the one thing my best friend in the whole world wanted me to.

What kind of friend friend am I?

She hadn't said anything in a while, I sat there and listened to her sobbing.

She grabbed my hand suddenly and wrapped it around hers.

"I know you're in there rhiannon, I know you can hear me." She croaked, "please please please, I know it must be so difficult but take up all your strength and squeeze my hand. Just the tiniest bit, just to show me you're in there. Go on! I know you can do it, do it for me..."

Her words touched my heart.

I summoned all my strength. I was going to do it this time! No matter what it took, I would do it for the friend who had always believed in me. Always been there for me. Believed in me enough to make such an inspirational speech with no shadow of doubt that I couldn't hear her. She trusted me, she believed in me. I had to do this for her.

I HAD to.

I waited three seconds and pushed all my strength toward my fist which Mairi had wrapped around her hand. I clenched it as hard as I could and she screamed!

I did it!

I moved my hand! I took a deep breath, I couldn't stop now and risk forgetting what to do. I pushed all my strength towards my arm and I moved it!

It was getting easier! I wasn't even aware of Mairi anymore, I was just focused on doing this. It didn't take as much effort to move my other arm and even less to budge my legs!

'Last but not least!'

I thought to myself, I squeezed my eyes tightly and opened them. The light was blinding! I shut them quickly again and put my hands over my eyes. I wriggled about and opened my eyes, blinked a couple of times and took a good look at my surroundings. I was in a white room, a hospital room I guessed. There were cards sat on the table next to me reading 'Get well soon' and 'I love you BEARY much' with a few teddy bears and flowers and some chocolates.

Finally I looked at who was in my room. It was all the boys and Mairi, all staring at me open-mouthed except for Mairi who was smiling bigger than I've ever seen her smile before.

"I knew you could do it" she said, her eyes were puffy as though she had been crying a lot. In fact, all of their eyes were puffy and swollen.

Geez I can't have been out that long! Only a few hours surely!

I felt something unfamiliar in my arm and I looked at it them screamed.

A NEEDLE WAS STICKING OUT OF MY ARM!!!

I couldn't stop screaming, I hate needles. They are the work of the devil!

Tears were streaming down my face like a waterfall at the sight of it and I could not stop screaming no matter how hard I tried. I was feeling fainter and fainter and I could feel myself reaching hysteria.

I screamed and screamed and nurses came rushing through.

"NO! What is that?! DON'T PUT THAT ON HER, SHE JUST WOKE UP!!!" I heard Jai shouting as a nurse came towards me with an oxygen mask.

She clamped it over my mouth, ignoring mine and Jai's protests, and the last thing I remember was her voice telling me to count to 10 and imagine I was in a strawberry field.

The mask smelled like strawberries.

I think I only reached 6 before I was out cold.