Humanoids

Eunkyung regarded the girl with suspicious eyes. The scent of cookies still drifted from the house and tempted her; But the healthy, natural smell of the garden made her sharper.

"How do you know my name?" She asked.

The girl seemed amused by her question.

"The forest is a small place," She answered. "Not many humans live here. The trees speak of you often."

The girl took a few steps toward the house before turning back to Eunkyung. Her eyes were black as the new moon's sky, but the stars that twinkled within them seemed to hold a warm, mischievous light.

"I'll explain over tea." She invited Eunkyung back into the cottage. "The girl between worlds must have a lot of questions."

Eunkyung quietly followed the girl back into the cottage. A thousand questions demanded to be asked and they collided with each other until Eunkyung couldn't think of a thing to say.

But first and foremost, who was the girl and what did she know? What could she tell Eunkyung?

It was her natural curiosity that made her swallow her hesitance and enter the cottage. The girl was back in the kitchen, with a kettle on the stove as she pulled cookies out of the oven to cool.

"Take a seat at the table Eunkyung," She smiled welcomingly. "I'll be with you in just a moment."

She silently nodded and pulled out a chair to sit at the kitchen table. Not quite sure what to do with herself while the girl was busy preparing them tea, Eunkyung studied the table. It was old and sturdy. There were large gouges in it and intentions from having been cut on. It was lovely and worn in a very homely way.

A moment later, the girl set down a mug of tea and a plate of cookies in front of Eunkyung before sitting across form her. After taking a long sip of her sweet smelling tea, the girl let out a sigh and eyed Eunkyung with interest.

"Hm... Where to start..." She muttered mostly to herself.

"... May I ask your name?" Eunkyung nervously wrapped her hands around her mug, trying to give herself something to do.

The girl's eyes widened.

"Did I forget to introduce myself? I'm sorry," The girl set her mug down and offered a hand to Eunkyung, who gladly took it. "My name is Minji and I am the witch of this forest."

"Witch...?" Eunkyung froze, her eyes widened. First werewolves, now witches?

Minji nodded and pulled her hand away from Eunkyung's. "Yes, there are many species that you humans aren't allowed to know about."

"Wha-" Eunkyung started speaking but found she had nothing to say and quickly closed her mouth again. She looked down at her tea and swirled it slightly, watching the dredges of tea leaves dance at the bottom.

"I think, however," Minji pushes the untouched plate of cookies toward Eunkyung as an offering. "You deserve to know more about this world. Would you like that Eunkyung?"

Eunkyung wordlessly picked up a chocolate chip cookie and nibbled at it as she nodded.

"Collectively, there isn't really a word for what we are." The witch started, tracing her finger across the warm rim of her mug. "We refer to ourselves as 'Us' and you as 'Humans'. I suppose the best word to describe us would be 'Humanoids' We share many physical traits that humans do, but biologically and culturally, we're completely different.

"There are Centaurs, who are wise but ultimately meet their end because of their brutish nature. Mermaids are cunning and deadly. They love to drag unsuspecting humans to their death in the ocean's depths. Werewolves are cursed creatures with sad existences they did not deserve. Witches are resourceful and powerful; often times we are the voice of reason in our world. Human's are inventive but arrogant of their creations and selfish to a fault."