Chapter 21

Mother taught me how to recognize the symptoms in my body. After two days, I was able to tell the baby was there. Or rather, on its way.

Victor and Dalzner kept such close eyes on me, it was almost unnerving. They were more serious- far more serious than I was about this Seducer guy. Two months passed of their ridiculous actions. I thought it was ridiculous anyways.

Dalzner only reassured me that everything was under his and Victor’s control when I told him that.

I wasn’t allowed to go anywhere by myself. I wasn’t allowed to be alone for one moment. It was almost annoying.

The only plus side was that Dalzner bent over backwards to please me. He did almost anything I asked, and constantly fretted over the growing child. He wasn’t doing anything unusual- for Dalzner had always tried to make me happy, but he paid more attention to details now.

I believe he was anticipating the child more than I was.

I nearly had a nervous breakdown by the time I hit four months.

“Just don’t think about it, Rouge. You’re much happier now than you were two years ago.” Dalzner reassured me, holding me gently and kissing my forehead.

“I can’t help it.”

“You have to quit worrying, Rouge, or else it will happen again.” He shook his head and tightened his arms around me. “I want you to be happy, and only happy.”

I sighed. I knew it. He had been saying that to me a lot lately.

My stomach was finally showing. It was miniscule, but it was there.

On alternate weeks, I spent a few days at a time with Mother and Yuijie. I often visited Father and Mello, who were more than excited for (should I say ‘their’?) grandchild. I didn’t want to remind Father of Mello’s genes in me.

Father was still happy, nonetheless.

Mother gave me a bit more reign when I was with her. She didn’t attend with me everywhere I went, but she still kept a careful eye upon me.

One evening while Mother was out, I had stayed in the house, feeling tired for no apparent reason.

I had been trying to make my hair somewhat decent, when I felt two cold hands around my neck. I looked up into the mirror next to me.

The Seducer was putting my lost choker around my neck.

“You left this, darling.” He said quietly. He clasped it together.

I turned to face him. He only kissed my forehead and disappeared.

A few days later, alone again, I was simply walking down the street. There wasn’t much for me to do that day, but I felt the need to get up and walk. And, as if all ill deeds of misfortune rode upon my shoulders, I ran into The Seducer.

He pulled me gently into a small alleyway, and out of the sun.

His sweet perfume engulfed me again.

“Hello, again, my darling.” His quiet voice flooded my ears.

My thoughts became fuzzy again. It was as if my tongue suddenly became numb.

“I wanted to see the child.” He continued, leaning down onto one knee before me. He placed his hands upon my growing child. He smiled slightly to himself, as if he could see the inside.

I became nervous.

Dalzner flooded my brain. I felt suddenly devastated for no reason.

I had to . . . get rid of him, of this man . . . or did I?