SIX

|Unexplained Warmth| 

Christmas break arrived quickly at Hogwarts and the students could not be anymore joyful to spend time with their families, and get away from school.

Nova was spending Christmas with her father, like every year, but was splendid to find out her Grandmother Rose was visiting. Grateful Nova is to have her grandmother who is from her mothers side visit. It's not very often Rose does seeing as the lives in Australia. 

At last Nova makes her way to the Astronomy Tower for a nightly meet up with James. The thought of him comes to mind and Nova cannot contain the grin from forming. Clutching a medium wrapped box as she does. 

A broomstick caring package is enclosed under the blue snowman paper. Knowing how much that boy cares about that broom of his Nova had to buy it once she set eyes on it. A memory from a week ago settles in her mind. 

Nova sat on a large rock reading a muggle book and snuggled into a warm blue scarf as the laughter of the Marauders boys sounded around her. They invited to play a round of Quidditch Snowball with them. Nova merely chuckled, she had no clue how to play and just settled with watching.

Being in their presence was soothing. 

"Watch it, Padfoot!" James' voice rang out as snow made it into the bristle of his broomstick. 

"Oh, quit being a baby." Sirius retorted as he rolled his eyes. A mischievous smile then grew on his face as he nodded to the other marauders. Swiftly Remus and Peter began to pelt James with snowballs, eventually making it into his bristles. 

Nova watched them intently as they did so, their banter was her personal entertainment.

"Nova," James wined as he brushed snow out of his hair, "Tell them to stop being mean to me." A pout came over his lip. Turning to the boys Nova winked before pulling out a snowball behind her back and aiming towards James' face. 

Smack! She shoots, she scores, Nova thought and smiled.

A fond smile came across Nova as she remembered that day. Those boys make her life better, but in particular James. 

James was something good that has not appeared in Nova's life for a while. 

It was the night before everyone who was going home for the holidays had to leave and the duo agreed to meet each other at the usual place to give presents. Nova was anxious to see what James had gotten her. 

This was almost like a test to see how well they knew each other.

James was already waiting for Nova at the tower by the time she got there. He leaned against the railing and looked out at the clouded grey sky that took place during winter. 

The moonlight glistened on James face and all Nova could do was stare. A picture might have lasted longer, but she was glad she got to see him with her own eyes. 

Nova came behind James and planned to scare him, something the two made a habit of doing whenever in the corridors, but he had other plans. James had heard her the minute she came in and was waiting for the perfect opportunity.

Once she was behind him James quickly turned around and grasped her in his hold and whisper yelled, "Boo!" 

A small yelp was the reaction from Nova as the softly smacked his chest, "Don't do that." she scolded but smiled.

Moments passed and Nova realized James didn't let her out of his hold. She was looking at the ground below them and slowly looked up at his breathtaking face. James was staring down at Nova with a loving gaze, something he seemed to be doing a lot. 

"I've got something for you," James spoke. With one hand rested on her waist he reached into his pocket and pulled out a rectangular box wrapped in velvet red paper. "Me too." Nova replied as she placed the box in his arms and his into hers. 

James encouraged her to go first and she agreed.

The box in her hand was delicately wrapped Nova almost didn't want to rip it so she carefully pealed it away. James watched her graceful figure with an expectant smile on his face. 

Nova lifted the lid of the white box and gasped in surprise. 

Inside was a beautiful sterling silver charm necklace with a star and letter N attached to the chain. The gift was so personal which made it all the better. 

Tears brimmed Nova's eyes as she slowly looked up at James. Worry filled James as he quickly spoke, "Oh, do you hate it? I can return it, you know it probably wasn't the best choice I'm sor-" but was cut off by Nova wrapping her arms around his neck in a tight hug. 

Her head rested on his shoulder as she stood on her toes to whisper in his ear, "It's perfect, I love it." before kissing his cheek. 

A relieved sigh came out of James as his shoulders visibly relaxed, "Thank Merlin." The couple stood there for a while basking each others warmth before Nova spoke, "Now I don't want you to open your present because it sucks."  

"I bet it's great." James reassured before unwrapping his. Nova rocked on the heels of her feet in anticipation. 

"Oh man this is amazing, Nova! I have been wanting these for a while but never got around to it, you're the best." James beamed and pulled Nova in for another hug. 

They both melted into each others hold as an unexplained warmth overcame both of them and they didn't know it to be good or bad. 

Okay so I intended this chapter to go up around Christmas time, but that didn't happen so. Yay to procrastination!! 

I am terribly sorry for the long wait, I am trying to improve on that but thank you to everyone sticking by.

Don't forget to comment and vote if you liked it! Questions, concerns, humerus quips comment it all. I love hearing from you guys :)