Chapter 11

"So what happened today, guys?" I asked. Jax, Opie and I were by the play set for the kids. I was sitting on the swing, while Opie and Jax stood in front of me.

"I don't know. I chased down the shooter that led me to this apartment complex. I called in everyone and we broke in, thinking that the shooters would be there. Instead, there was a family, lots of kids." Jax explained.

"Jax saw the driver and we asked him what's what. He said he didn't speak English so we asked someone else and she said that it was a bad man or something." Ope continued.

"This guy barges in and takes a girl hostage. The woman almost gave him up but he killed her, shot her in the head. Then he pointed the gun at us and we killed 'em."

"Shit." I muttered. "Jesus Christ, man." I irritatedly seethed. I ran my fingers through my hair and looked up. Just then Chibs looked over and whistled for us to come over.

*****

V.Lin entered the clubhouse, no sign of Lyla and Piper. My face contorted into confusion.

"Where's Lyla and Piper?" I asked.

"I was waiting for her, dude. Nanny was dropping off the kid, she was changing..."

"Where is she?" Opie asked, a little more powerfully.

"She ducked out. Lost me. Sorry." V.Lin had a terrified face and was stiff. I looked back to Clay, mentally asking if we could go and find her.

"Go." Clay simply ordered. Jax, Opie and I nodded and all walked out together. Three may seem much, but we've always been a team, no matter what.

We rode over to Opie's house and went inside. It was dead silent.

"Lyla?" I called. No answer. We looked around and finally went over to the bedroom. The dresser drawers were open with clothes spilling from them.

"She split." Opie muttered. He looked around for a few seconds before sitting down on the bed frame.

"Sorry, bro." Jax was leaning on the door frame as I went to go sit next to my brother.

"It was probably an impulse thing." I tried to comfort him. I saw the hurt in Opie's face. Jax gave us some privacy and waited in the living room.

Opie wrapped an arm around me and pulled me in close. I hugged him back. I heard his broken breathing, his jaw was clenched, I barely saw the tears that wanted to form, but knowing Opie like I do, I knew he wanted to cry.

"I wanted this to work." He mumbled.

"I know. You can't force it though. Lyla's not used to this lifestyle like Donna was. Give her some time." I rubbed his back.

"That's the thing. I think what I was looking for was another Donna."  He explained. I pulled away and looked at his face, which was pained.

"Give Lyla some time. She'll come back." I hugged him again. "Let's get back. There's a meeting."

*****

"I talked to Luis. He's on his way up here with a few guys." Clay explained.

"Any word on Armando?" I asked.

"No. Could've been picked up by state police. Tucson's into it."

"Kozik will be down next week with the guns. I gave him the heads up, told him to keep his eyes open on the ride." Jax spoke up.

"Well we better do more than keep our eyes open. Lobo Senora knew exactly where to hit the Mayans. That makes us the next targets." Bobby's eyes were glued to the table, which meant that he was in deep thought. 

"If we are, we'll handle it." Clay muttered.

"Just like Alvarez handled it?" Bobby shot back.

"You know, instead of sitting on your fat ass, complaining about all the shit I'm doing wrong, why don't you actually do something that actually helps this goddamn club?" Clay said calmly, but poisonous venom dripped from his words. Bobby didn't seem fazed.

"Yeah, like calling a vote?" He asked.

"Little late for that." It seemed like they forgot it was a meeting and we were all witnessing it.

"I'm not talking about the cartel. Officer Challenge..." Bobby continued. Opie looked to me, and I back at him, then to Jax. "Your leadership is compromising this club. I want a vote, new president." Finally, someone said it.

"Second." Clay angrily said. "Get Juice and Happy  back here. Call Kozik and Piney and get their proxies. We vote this shit tonight." Clay slammed the gavel down angrily and Clay stood up. He kicked what was whatever in his way and was followed by Tig. Opie, Jax, Bobby, Chibs and I all sat there, astonished and looking at each other.

*****

I sat there, on the bed. Holding my prepay to my ear, hoping that Dad would pick up his goddamn phone at the cabin. But like always, he didn't answer. I sighed and threw my phone down next to me. I held my head in my hand, frustrated.

Jax came over next to me, pulled me into his lap and wrapped a protective arm around me.

"Piney's not picking up the phone." I sighed into his chest.

"That's him being an old fart." Jax mumbled. He kissed my forehead and sighed. "We're safe, babe." He whispered. I looked up at him and kissed him softly. He fell back and pulled me on top of him so I'm straddling him.

"This whole cartel shit has me stressed out." I whispered.

"We'll get through it." He pushed a piece of hair behind my ear and held my face close to his before his lips connected with mine.

"I love you, Jackson Teller." I sighed.

"I love you, Alexandra Winston."