Chapter Twelve

Minda startled awake on the hard rocky ground of the cave. She glanced at the hole in the ceiling and saw the colors of the early morning sky and rubbed her eyes, wincing at the pain in her burnt and sliced arm. Sitting up she glanced at the small mound of rocks in the far corner in where they had buried Midas. She then turned her attention to Aki's empty sleeping bag and sighed. She rose to her feet in stages, her back and neck stiff from the ground and her body still sore from the fight a few hours prior. She finally stood straight up and stretched out her back before feeling her way to the sloped tunnel leading back outside. Aki was not far away sitting on a boulder and watching the sun rise.

     "What are you doing?" she asked quietly. He cocked his head to the side. She sat next to him, leaning her head sleepily against his shoulder.

     "I finally used Light Magic," he said excitedly. "I don't know why or how, but I did. I read in a book that all Magic comes from a natural source. I'm hoping by seeing the day's first light I pick something up."

     "Noticed anything yet?" she said through a yawn.

     "It cuts through shadows. It's warm and when you close your eyes it makes you smile."

     "You sound as if you have never seen sunlight before. Did you hit your head yesterday?" she teased.

     "I feel like I've seen it before, but I've never really seen what it is; what makes it unique. I knew it was there, like the air that I breathe, but I've never really seen what it can do."

     "What was different about using it as opposed to your Black Magic?"

     "Nothing really. I still used to attack; to win."

     "But how was the situation different?" she probed further. Aki paused and sighed.

     "You were in danger. I needed to save you."

     "Needed?" she asked surprised. Aki blushed and rushed to change his answer.

     "Wanted." Minda's expression dropped.

     "Oh? I suppose I am not needed as much as I thought. I guess I am little more than a commodity to you."

     "No, just, I mean...you know the land. You're a noblewoman. You're a soldier. You're a great healer. You're really useful to me."

     "Oh, so as long as I am of use you will save me. I understand," she said bitterly. She sat up and crossed her arms and then wished she did not when her wound burned.

     "Yes. No. Look, I – you're important to me. I've never known anyone like you before. And I know things started off weird but I feel like I've known you my whole life. You're the best friend I've ever had. And it took almost losing you yesterday to realize how much I want to keep you in my life." His face burned hotter and he could not look at her. Minda spent the rest of the day patching up their injuries, sitting underneath the faint beam of sunlight inside the cave claiming that it helped power the spell. She left only a faint scar on running down her inner arm and most of Aki's injuries disappeared. Aki finally recalled his mending spell, Filo Deus, a thin silver needle made up of energy, and was able to clumsily repair the tears in their clothing. Aran spent the day trapping small birds and bugs around the cave and its opening; although domesticated, he did enjoy playing predator once in a while. Minda found her broken sword blade and gingerly ran her finger along its side. She sadly placed it inside of her bag and wiped her face.

     The next day the two returned to Zamek heading straight into the small bustling police station. Minda avoided eye contact with the criminals who were waiting to be processed; Aki smiled at a pretty thief who adjusted the hair behind her ear and pretended she was not flattered. A harsh looking officer sat behind one of the many cramped wooden desks in the center of the room. Most of the officers had stacks of papers that they busily stamped or filed while others ran around asking for keys to certain drawers and answered incoming correspondences. They were all dressed in navy blue slacks and coats with shimmering silver light armor protecting their chest, shoulders, and legs. When it was their turn Aki dropped a small burlap bag on the officer's desk with a clang, much to the chagrin of the balding officer.