as long as it takes

Maya woke up the next morning and scratched her eye as she picked up her phone to see the screen lit up with texts from Josh.
43 unread messages. Maya scrolled through them all.
The first few were variations of:
"Maya please talk to me."
"Please I'm so sorry, I just wanna explain."
Then after a while, this one appeared:
"Okay so you're ignoring me now, I guess that's fair."
Maya's heart stopped when she read the last two.
"Call or text me whenever you're ready."
"I'll wait for you Maya, as long as it takes. Remember, I'm in it for the long game."
Maya sighed and started typing. She believed in second chances so here goes nothing.
Josh's phone buzzed on his desk as he paced back and fourth in his room. The screen lit up with the name "Little Ferret💓" plastered across the screen. Finally.
Josh quickly unlocked the phone to see what she said and was ecstatic with the response.
"I'm in it for the long game💙I'll be over in 10."
He quickly grabbed a tshirt from his closet and threw it on. As the shirt went over his head he caught a glimpse of the beanie he got for Christmas sitting on his desk. A small smile grew on his face as he slipped that on his head and headed out to the living room to wait for Maya.
Meanwhile, Maya was in the bathroom throwing on today's outfit and doing her hair. She threw on a trusty pair of jeans and Josh's hoodie that she still hadn't returned. It was about two and a half sizes too big for her, but she made it work. She decided to not fix her hair much and just leave it in the same messy curls it was always in, and finally she slipped her gold locker over her neck and smiled in the mirror, and with that she walked out of the bathroom and back to Riley's to grab her phone from its charger.
Riley had woken up and Maya informed her where she was going. "You sure you're ready?" Riley questioned. Maya nodded. "Yeah." Riley smiled, "well good luck peaches. I really hope you come back here happy. Don't forget, you're gonna tell me all about it either way." Maya laughed, "Well of course, I wouldn't have it any other way." And with that Maya crawled out the window and walked over to see Josh.