Chapter 17

I'm quickly whisked away from my companions and taken to a healing room as soon as we arrive.

I try to protest with them, attempting to convince them that I needed to see King Thranduil first. They all but ignore me though, and I soon give in and just follow them.

I am half led, half carried up a staircase that seems to grow right out of the tree; soon I have gone so high up that I can no longer see the ground floor. I must have let out a small gasp because the two elves leading me along both smile gently at me.

The room they take me to is all soft earth tones and light colors, and moments after being assisted into a sitting position on the bed, a healer enters.

***

"When will I be able to see King Thranduil?" I ask the blond-haired elf that had healed me, again.

Asking was really futile; I had asked this to him multiple times before and received the same answer each time.

A ghost of a smile flickers across his lips and then disappears. "In due time," he replies calmly. "You must rest first."

Well, at least I'm amusing him.  The seemingly endless patience of the elves never ceases to amaze me.

"This is urgent!  Has no one told you why I am here?" I question, aggravated, though not at him directly.

"I was told exactly why you are here, Princess Arra, but I was told specifically by the Prince that you must rest first to recover in order to heal our King."

"Oh Legolas why would you say such a thing? I will not be able to sleep!" I realize too late that I've actually said this out loud, and the elf laughs gently at me. I just lie back down, silently cursing myself.

I soon realize I am in fact tired though, and begin to drift off. I barely even register that the elf who had healed me silently leaves the room.  My eyes drift shut, but this time I do not fear what will greet me when I do.

Legolas's POV:

I knew Arra would protest resting before helping my father, but she desperately needed it after everything that had happened this past week.

I had told the healer not to let her near my father before she had rested, but I also knew that Arra could be very stubborn and would most likely sneak away to find the King by herself. I went to check on her, avoiding my other traveling companions as I make my way to the healing rooms, wanting to visit Arra by myself.

Reaching the landing where all of the healing rooms are located, I see one of our oldest and most skilled healers sitting just outside.  She smiles at me with a knowing expression as I pass.

Upon entering the room Arra is in, I am truly shocked to discover she is sound asleep. I begin to exit the room as quietly as possible, but I notice her face contort the way it does when she's nervous, and become concerned.  It's the same expression she wore when she first told me of the ice dragons in the North.

She begins to quietly mumbling incoherent words in her sleep, her brows furrowing and her full lips tilting down into a frown.  Then as though someone had flipped a switch, she begins thrashing violently and screaming like she has been possessed by a demon.

Before I'm able to completely process what has happened, the old healer that had previously been at the end of the hall appeared in the doorway of the room. She began muttering ancient incantations from the elven language so old that even I didn't understand.  

The elven woman's face grew strained; it seemed that whatever darkness had ahold of Arra would lot let her go easily. My only thought is that this must be the Witch King of Angmar's doing. Who else would have the power to still access Arra's mind with such well-protected borders?