Chapter one

Maya moved swiftly in the mirror hanging on the back of her door, trying to imitate the girls that she had seen in the ballet studio. Maya was no ballet dancer. She could do some hip-hop but ballet is something that random people you meet at parties teach you, so she never became interested. She had taken a slightly different path home. She had peeked into the widow that was at the top of the wall in the studio. She saw several girls lined up at the barre, moving gracefully. Maya was no graceful girl either but she had now decided that she would learn to be when she needed to be. She lifted her leg to the back. She didn't like it. She blamed it on her body as she lowered her leg and turned back to the mirror.
Her thighs would have to be thinner, her hips would have to be gone, her bum would have to flatten and her breasts would have to shrink. Too much was sticking out of her. Her cheeks were too round and her face was to babyish. Where were the cheekbones and her collarbone? How about her ribs and the beautiful, much desired space between her thighs.
Topangas lessons to Riley and Maya on loving themselves were becoming more and more distant, drowning in each part of her body where she saw an ounce of excess fat. Her skin should wrap her bones tight like a wet shirt wrapped around peoples bodies, sucking to them. That was what she desired. That was thin. And that was beautiful.
Next came tactics. The ones she would learn along the way with the basic idea of eating as little as possible behind each.