Chapter Thirty: Red

Thanks for the fan art from one of the readers^^ ! Thanks so much!
----------------------------------------------

Sketch:

My smile could not have been matched as I pulled him into a hug, ignoring those bright red eyes. My dreams never imagined to be looking into that face...forever - unable to age. His skin was glowing, casted upon years of tanned skin and wispy locks of golden brown hair. It was as if time had froze itself just by looking at him. As if a painter had captured all of his best qualities into one single portrait.

He looked....well alive, very much alive.

I pulled back first, grabbing his cheeks like he used to do to me. He smiled, tears gathering and yet daring to spill amongst such rosy cheeks.

"I must say, you are beautiful."

A laugh delighted the air as a breeze had brushed passed us, sending rose petals off into the distance.

"I'm one of them now Sketch, I'm something that caged us in, killed off our family." he whispered, frightening of an answer.

Frightened that he had failed us.

"I don't see you like that." I concluded, giving him a half smile. "I see you as you, Sam. You'll always be Sam."

"What about my eyes...or the fangs that I have?" he asked, smiling lazily.

"I don't think having that makes you a monster."

He smiled softly, wiping his own tears. This might not be the worst thing that's happened, not even close. I know that maybe Sam becoming a vampire was better, this way I might not lose him. However, this was bad in other ways.

"I guess this is it, this is our lives now." he whispered.

I just sat back on the grass, looking at the flowers that were in front of me. "I guess so, but I don't think it'll be that bad. Erin told me that there's these things called an underground city! And the cities that stand! It seems so fun, and I really want to explore the world, and help as many people as I can." I exclaimed throwing my arms in the air to prove a point.

"Who's Erin?" he asked.

"My boyfriend." I gleamed, winking at Orion on the balcony. "He's actually my tutor, but he's great! You'll have to meet him."

"Oh, I didn't know you had a tutor."

I nodded, the breeze running through my hair once more. The morning was nice and warm against my skin.

The world was strange, the strong would feast on the weak. I was weak, but only because I was human.

Sam looked back over at me; red looked better on him anyway.

"Why are your eyes red, but their eyes normal?" I asked, referring to the older vampires that were spying on the balcony.

"Xanthe said that when a vampire turns, there's blood vessels in the eyes that pop, making my eyes red. But since vampires heal overtime they should eventually go back to normal." he confirmed, gazing to the clouds above.

"I personally like the red eyes."

"Well I'll have another thousand years or so with them."

I laid down on the warm grass, letting the sun warm my face.

"That sounds funny doesn't it, another thousand years...."

He laughed, softly nodding. He took upon the same position as me, allowing the sun to cast his best features.