2: Boot Prints

Twenty minutes later Ever jumped out of the boat into the shallows and splashed up onto Golden Neck. The cold water soaked into her shoes and stockings, but it felt good: the sun was still hot. She put her satchel over her shoulder and watched as Jared stowed the oars and beached the boat. He checked his bowstring, frowning at one point as he ran his fingers down its length.

A trailhead opened onto the short beach, marked by a boulder rolled into place for that purpose. When Jared was finished obsessing over his bowstring, they made their way up the beach and into the woods.

The path was flat and smooth, and there was gravel spread in the low-lying areas. They crossed two small streams, both of which were bridged with sturdy bound pine logs sawn flat across the top. Elder Barrus took good care of his home on Golden Neck, and as he was the only one who lived there it was a good thing he did. The rest of the Blessed of Bountiful thought the place was bad luck.

Ever shook her head as they climbed a short set of stone steps that looked like they had been repaired recently.

"Elder Barrus pushes himself too hard," she said. "Living alone out here would be hard work for a young man, and he's not young. His heart isn't strong enough for this kind of labor. He's going to kill himself."

"It would kill him to stop working," Jared said from in front of her. He had insisted on going first. "He's an ornery old man, but his testimony is true. My father says he lives out here because he thinks living in the community makes you soft. 'The slothful man's desire kills him, for his hands refuse to labor.' " He turned his head slightly and Ever could see that he was smiling.

"He learned his scriptures from Elder Barrus," Jared explained. "My father, I mean. The Elders say his recollection of the Word is closest to the lost books of all the Blessed in Bountiful."

"I'm surprised to hear you speak so well of him," Ever said.

"Why?" asked Jared. They reached another set of drystone steps; the trail mounted a small hill in several well-planned stages, making an otherwise difficult hike into an easy walk. The trees of Golden Neck were mostly hardwoods, and the midday sun shining through their bright fall foliage turned the trail into a colorful tunnel through the forest. "Because people think he's strange?"

"It is a bit strange, wanting to live out here by yourself, isn't it?" Ever asked.

"Perhaps he feels that God is company enough." Ever took advantage of her place in the rear and made a frustrated gesture heavenward.

"He never took a wife, you know," Ever said. "And we know what the scriptures have to say about that."

"Who told you that?" Jared asked over his shoulder.

"Sister Higbee."

"Sister Higbee's your age—"

"Not that Sister Higbee, her mother."

"She's still half Elder Barrus's age," Jared said. "She doesn't know what she's talking about."

"And you do?" Ever asked sweetly.

"My father says he did have a wife, a long time ago. She died when they were both still young—just a little older than you, I think. He never remarried."

"I've never heard that before," Ever said, honestly surprised. "Why don't more people know that?"

"Probably because they listen to too much Women's Society gossip," Jared said, managing to sound both annoyed and like he'd won a point somehow.