Pray

~This story in set in the world war 2 era~

"War. War never changes."

(Naruto's POV)

Sometimes, I wished I was a woman instead. It was written all over the news, that every single man had to enlist into the army. To serve the country because of the never-ending war. Of course, I was no coward but I was scared. Scared that I would lose her and no longer be by her side.

It was seven in the morning, we were a happy couple. Recently married two months ago and living comfortably by the countryside away from the city. My lovely wife, Hinata would always make a cup of coffee with a morning kiss together. If only moments like these would last forever.

"Be a man, Naruto-kun." smiled Hinata as she hung the coat around my shoulders while tightly grasping my hand.

"The army...." i sighed as I lightly caressed her cheek. She looked so fragile in my eyes, that i would want to protect her forever.

"I'll promise I'll write often, Hinata. You're going back to your parents right?" I asked as I stared deeply into her eyes. I wanted to engrave the image of her in my heart.

"Father said it would be dangerous for me to live in this house all alone. I wouldn't know when you'll be back so he insisted on it." she said.

"No, it's a good choice. Who knows what will happen? This house will stay even after a thousand years so don't worry."

"True...remember, don't always take risks. Knowing you, you're always heading first. That's why I'm really worried that you will injure yourself." pouted Hinata.

I smiled as she rarely did such cute things for me. With a wide grin, I pulled her cheeks and tightly hugged her for a long time. In my embrace, I smelled her hair one last time. A scent that comforts me.

"I got it-ttebayo. Don't worry." I smiled as I held her face and kissed her. I didn't want to let this moment pass. For a long time, our lips locked in my embrace. I didn't want to leave her.

~X~

-At the army camp-

Registering took a while as I finally got in, finished the health examination and got full points. I was immediately taken into the training camp where I would be for two months. Luckily, my good friend of mine(or rather my brother-in-law) is in the same camp as me. The genius in the neighborhood, Hyuuga Neji.

We did lots of things for two whole months, learning army tactics, running through courses, practicing firing shots. It passed by very fast and I wasn't able to write a letter to her as promised. I can already imagine her angry, annoyed face in my mind. Without knowing it, I grinned.

"What's with you? Did the harsh training already got into your head?" asked Neji.

"No. I was thinking about her again." I smiled.

"Oh yeah, you told me that you married right?" said Kiba, one of my fellow mates in the team.

"I don't think I would bother thinking about my wife. She just makes me have a headache." sighed Shikamaru, he was already married for seven years but still doesn't have a child yet.

"Obviously she would be frustrated with you-ttebayo! You're not even a father yet!" I joked with a grin.

"Then, how about you Naruto? Try it with your wife then." smirked Shikamaru.

I blushed at the sudden question. "We...were just recently married so we haven't....done that...yet...." I said as my voice began to be softer.

"Look at this inexperienced guy. Good thing I'm not married! Oh the days how I missed to just leisurely hang around & hook up on girls." said Kiba as he pointed at me.