II. Attractive Company

"Hey, wake up" somebody instructed to me sternly. My eyelids fluttered open, but I was still unable to see anything from the blinding light outside the bus window.

Oh shit, I fell asleep.

I quickly stood up from my seat, which gave me a bit of a head rush and caused me to fall into Jake's lap.

"Hey Brian," Jake teased. "I have girls falling for me." My face grew red with embarrassment as I jumped off of his lap and hid my face with my hands. I quickly ran off the bus and onto my driveway, where tears were starting to run down my face.

You just had to draw attention to yourself.

I stumbled onto my doorstep and struggled to get my keys out of my bag, spending what felt like hours trying to find the damn keychain.

Luckily, the door opened. I didn't think my mom was off work today, but who knows, she might've come home sick or something.

I released my grip on my backpack and looked up to what was surprisingly NOT my mother. My heart skipped a beat, getting a sudden shock and fear all at once.

The stranger in my doorway had long dark brown hair, with a deep brown shade of eyes to match. He was a little bit pale, and was a little bit shorter than most guys.

And of course, being myself, my first reaction to this stranger was not, What is this stranger doing in my house?... no, it was Oh my god he's so hot.

Finally, my mom came up behind the stranger and gave me a smile

"Kristine!" My mom said, a little too welcoming for her regular tone, all while reaching desperately towards me for a hug.  "Welcome home!" I could tell she was trying to impress this guy, so I played along with her, giving her a hug in return. The guy smiled at us politely, as I pulled away from my mother and raised an eyebrow, signaling for her to introduce me to the man.

"Oh! Right!" She exclaimed, a little too perky. I mentally rolled my eyes at her. She always tried to make everyone around us think that we were this perfect family, but in reality, we're just as broken as shattered glass. "Kristine, this is Brendon, he just moved into the house next to us." I nodded, not minding the idea of having to see him everyday.

"Nice to meet you," I said shyly. He gave me a warm smile and a nod in return.

"Would you like some tea?" My mom asked both of us, motioning us to sit down in our living room. We both nodded once again and sat down on separate pieces of furniture, him on the couch and me sitting on my dad's chair. We sat in awkward silence for about five minutes before my mom came back with two tea cups in her hands, trying her hardest not to spill them and embarrass herself.

After handing them to both of us, she sat on the opposite end of the couch as brendon- the side closest to me.

"So, what do you do for a living?" She asked him casually.

"Well, since I just got out of college I haven't had a real job yet. I usually earn my money from gigs that me and my band do."

He's. In. A. Band.

"Oh, that sounds exciting! What instrument do you play?" My mother beamed.

"I occasionally play guitar, but I mostly sing in my band." He explained happily.

He. Sings. And. Plays. Guitar.

"You know what would be just perfect?" My mother explained as I took a sip of my tea. "Since Kristine loves music so much, we should set up some kind of guitar lesson!" My eyes widened, and I nearly choked on my tea.

"What?!" I said, surprised that my mom would set up something like this without asking me first. She knows how much of an introvert I am.

"That would be great!" Brendon said, mimicking my mother's perkiness. Or maybe he was like that all the time. Either way, he was adorable. My mother grinned at me, and I didn't know whether to scowl or smile, so instead I took another sip of my tea and leaned back in my seat.

"Well, thank you for the tea Mrs.Falls," Brendon said cheerfully. "But I really need to get going. I'll talk to you later about the lessons?" She smiled back at him.

"That would be lovely," she said, grinning. "But I think it would be better if you contacted my daughter. She's old enough to organize this herself." I glared at her, leaving the side of her grin to twitch, annoyed with me.

"Alright then," Brendon said, turning to me. He quickly unlocked his phone and gave the phone to me with a "new contact" page opened. I silently sighed as I entered my number and my name (so that he wouldn't spell my name incorrectly) and passed the phone back to him.

"Right then, I'll see you all later." He said as he walked towards the front door. My mother trailed behind him, giving a fake smile as she shut the door, leaving nothing but my scowl to fill the room.

________

Btw my birthday is this Sunday (the 31st)
... Just thought I should share this information...