Chapter 4

"August?"

"Hey it's me"

Emma's eyes started brimming with tears for the 3rd time today. She was so overjoyed to hear his voice after all the years that passed.

"Meet me tonight at 7. Dress warm!"

Emma nodded, and seemed to forget how to speak at the point. "Ok" she whispered into the phone. "It's so good hearing from you again."

Emma went to Granny's diner and got a place. Ruby was there.
"Need a hand?" She asked.

"Why not? Could you go grab that box please?" Emma pointed to a box sitting in the back of her car.

"Are the rest of you boxes already in the room?" Ruby asked.

"No it's only these two" Emma said, refering to the one in her hands.

"After a while you get used to not needing much." Emma tried to explain.

"I understand. I used to live in a place where there was limited supply. I had to go out often." Ruby said.

They dragged the boxes upstairs and Ruby helped Emma unpack. She began taking clothes out of a dirty brown box.

"This is cute!" She said, holding up a red leather jacket.

"You'll have to borrow it from me sometime" Emma flashed a grin.

"I look forward to that." Ruby smiled. Suddenly her phone rang and Ruby pulled it out of her pocket. "Hello?"
---

"I'll be fine!" Regina was arguing with the nurse.

"We suggest you don't drive. We need someone to bring you home."

"Honestly I'm fine" Regina refused to listen.

The nurse just gave her a look at said "Give someone a call"

Regina hesitantly dialed Ruby's number.

Hello? Hey Rubes I'm at the hospital can you bring me home, I don't have a ride. Sorry I'm busy. I'm with Emma. Regina heard some people talking on the other line. I have to help Granny but Emma said she could pick you up. Tell her it's fine I can walk. She wants to get to know you. Let the woman drive you home Regina. Bye.

I guess Miss Swan was picking me up.

In a matter of 5 minutes I saw the familiar yellow bug. Emma hopped out and walked up to me. "Thank you for picking me up" Regina said. As she got up from the bench she wobbled a little. Emma rushed to stabilize her and put her hand on her waist.

"The flowers? Did you like them?" Emma asked.

"Yes they were beautiful thank you."

"I know they weren't as beautiful as those red roses I saw but I just wanted to apologize."

"I don't care if the roses were dancing daffodils! The flower doesn't matter, what matters is the purpose behind it. And thank you. You know you didn't have to do this" Regina said surprised.

She enjoyed the warm feeling in her stomach as Emma's hand lay on her waist, wrapped around her, making her feel safe. As Emma walked Regina to the car and opened the door, her hand left Regina's waist. A pang of disapointment clouded Regina's eyes briefly. Emma put the car into drive and pulled out of the hospital parking lot.

"Adress?" Emma asked.

"108 Mifflin Street" Regina said. She blushed at being this close to someone she had never met, someone so pretty.

"So how's your stay been in Storybrooke so far." Regina hesitantly asked.

"Honestly not that great, between hitting you and visiting Mary and David." Emma sighed.

"Just a question but why don't you refer to them as your parents?" Regina asked.

"They aren't my real parents. They adopted me at age 15. And I've stayed with them for 2 years before trying to run away. They are cruel and I'v never been close to them." Emma tried to explain.

"Oh. Honestly they are pretty hardcore. I've battled Mary Margaret for mayor multiple times, but I've always won." Regina said with a laugh.

"Probably because no one likes her." Emma smiled.

"Well except for Kathyrn. Those two dominate the town. They own a law firm."

"What about David?" Emma asked.

"Honestly he's one of the nicest guys I've met. I don't know how he got stuck with Mary he honestly deserves better." Regina said.

After a moment of silence Regina said "There it is. Biggest one on the block." As Emma pulled into the driveway she glanced at the upstairs window, where Henry was grinning with joy as he saw his mother come home.

"MOM!" He ran out the door and threw himself at his mom.

Regina hugged him but leaned against the car for support. "Thank you Swan"

"Bye!" Emma waved as she went to Granny's to unpack before her trip to see August.

As she pulled out of the driveway she saw another car, a very nice sports car pull up nearby. As the roar of the engine came to a stop, Emma saw a guy get out. He ran over, carrying yet another bouquet of bloodred roses. "Hey I haven't seen you around town."

"Oh I'm visiting." Emma stuck out her hand. "I'm Emma. Emma Swan."

"Pleased to meet you Emma. I'm Robin"