======================================================================

We were now standing at my favorite part of Clearwater: the cliff. The flow of the steady river beneath us filled the silence that was currently between us. The sun was shining bright and overall it was a very nice day. Leah was standing, waiting patiently for me to speak, a spark in her eyes. It was taking everything I had to keep my hands off of her. It felt like an exterior force was pulling us together. I gave her one more glance: her golden cinnamon brown hair was hanging loosely at her creamy shoulders, moving every now and then with the slight wind. What I wouldn’t give to put my hands through it and feel the softness it promised. Her slim figure stood expectantly but patient. Her normally brown eyes were now filled with sparks of green, turning slightly hazel. She was the most beautiful thing I had ever laid eyes on.

In the instant that it took me to analyse her, I had stepped unbelievably close to her. I could feel her small, hot breath against my skin, tempting me to come even closer. Her eyes were like small windows to her soul, I could tell that the closeness was making her uncomfortable.  I had to remind myself why I was here and with great difficulty I created the much-needed space between us.  I took a big breath, which was a big mistake, because I wasn’t ready for her scent that seemed to attack my nostrils and send all rationality flying out the door. At that moment it was only the smell of warm vanilla on a rainy day that seemed to be radiating from Leah. Everything else lost meaning.

I could feel my legs moving, moving closer to her. My brain seemed disconnected from my feet, no matter how much I told them to stop, they kept on walking without permission. The scent became stronger as I moved closer. I felt like I was slowly sinking in that sent and my pulse was racing the closer I got to her.

When we were inches apart, I bent my head to her neck and at that point the scent seemed uncontrollably strong, keeping me captive. I leaned in closer and softly gave her neck a small kiss. And then another, and another. I could feel her breathing increasing faster with every kiss and her heart beating loudly against her chest. My kisses got closer and closer to her mouth. I stared at her mouth for a second. It was craved beautifully upon her face. Her lips were a deep rose red and very inviting to say the least. I knew if I dared to kiss those luscious lips, there was no going back, I wouldn’t be able to stop. She was simply addictive.

I took in another breath, this time the scent of reality perfumed my air and I took a huge step back, coming back to my senses. What was I doing? Leading her on like that. I gave her a side-glance and her eyes were filled with disappointment. That made me smile. The smile was, however short lived, as I realised what I did. Damn yummy scent.  I ran my hands through my hair, as I attempted to find a way to begin. We stood for another moment staring at each other in silence as I struggled to find a way to start the conversation I needed to have with her.

“Well, what do you wan-tt to talk about?” She finally said, breaking the silence and forcing me to get down to business. There will be no messing around. I’m going to keep this nice and simple. Short and sweet. Though I doubted that what I was about to say was in any way sweet.   

“Listen Leah, you’re a great girl and I know you’re old enough for me to be honest with you.” I looked at her. Her eyes showed a mixture of curiosity and nervousness. No hint of tears there. Yet.

“And I’ve been thinking about...” I made a hand gesture between her and me. “this whole “mates” situation..” I made sure to add a hint of disgust to my tone at the word mates. “and it just won’t work for me.” I finished abruptly. My words filled the air between us with thick tension and I saw her face transform with confusion and then understanding as my words began to make some sense to her. You could read her by looking at her eyes. They were not only windows to her soul, but to her mind and her whole being.