Chapter 12-A New Friend (Part 2)

Everything seemed fine for a while. Papyrus was back to his old chipper self, and Sans was as lazy, but happy, as ever. I was still trying to find a way to break the barrier, and I'd actually made a breakthrough. It actually turned out to be a failure, but it was possible to generate electricity from it. Electricity was something we'd have to live without for five years, so it was a welcome failure.

However, it didn't last. Papyrus began to come home with bruises, and after the third time, he finally told me where he was getting them. The girl who had harassed his friends was harassing him again. He said that she seemed lonely and he was just trying to be a friend to her, and I'd never been prouder. Eventually though, it became a serious problem. Sans tried his best to protect his brother, but Papyrus always seemed to be able to get into trouble.

I talked to multiple people in Waterfall about the girl, and I finally started getting some answers. Apparently, her name was Undyne and she wanted to become powerful so she could take down humans. The only way she seemed to know how was to fight anyone she could. As I was heading back to Hotland, a small girl suddenly jumped out at me.

"You're Dr. Gaster, aren't you?" She said, leaning up against a sharpened stick that was almost as tall as she was. I had a feeling I already knew her name.

"Correct. You must be Undyne." I said, smiling at her. Her intentions were good, (protecting people you love was something I definitely understand) she was just going about it the wrong way. Besides, I didn't want to be cruel to a child.

"Yeah! How'd you know?"

"I've heard stories."

"Really? Awesome! So, anyway, I wanted to ask you some stuff. My friend says you used to fight in the Royal Guard. She says you were really really good! She likes you cuz you're a scientist now, but I wanna know the secret. How'd you get so good?" Her eyes shined as she talked, telling me she was a very passionate person.

"Well, it was mostly about practice."

"Oh, I practice all the time!"

"On innocent people?" Her smile faltered, and her gaze changed from admiration to caution. 

"Well, kinda? Usually this one guy. He always Spares me though. Like that's gunna do anything!"

"You know, he's got the second part of fighting right."

"What? Sometimes you have to show a little Mercy. Especially if someone else is showing it to you." She looked down at the ground, rubbing the back of her neck.

"I should probably apologize huh?" She said, smiling sheepishly.

"I'm sure Papyrus would appreciate that. All he really wants to do is be your friend." I said, smiling at her.

"Wait a sec. You're a skeleton, he's a skeleton. You're his Dad aren't you?"

"Yes."

"And you're not mad at me?"

"As long as you make things right, I won't be."

"Okay. Okay, yeah! I'll apologize the next time I see him and then we'll be best friends!" She laughed as she ran back into the bushes she came from. "Thanks Dr. Gaster!" She called over her shoulder. I waved at her, before continuing home. Hopefully, Papyrus' bruises would stop.

***

"Dad! Guess what happened!"

"What?"

"You know that girl who kept being mean? She said sorry today! To everyone! And she said she'd be my friend. So, naturally, we are now super close!"

"That's wonderful! Just try and keep her from bullying again."

"Of course! Can we have spaghetti to celebrate?" 

"I don't see why not." 

"Yay!" Papyrus raced towards the kitchen, and I was close on his heels. Things always seem to work out for my sons, but every now and then I had to give a push.