Chapter 23: Pushing His Luck

There was a small cafe around the corner. I ordered a cup of blackberry, white tea, sat by the window and tried to relax myself. I had to get back to work soon, it would keep me busy and I could do some good,
"Excuse me."
Looking up, there were two young women standing next to me.
"Are you with the Dog Cops?"
The one asking was blond, around 5'4", wearing jeans and a heavy jacket. Her friend was slightly taller, wearing similar clothes. They were local, or they wouldn't have asked the way they had.
"Yes. I work there." I answered casually.
"You were the one that saved those animals." The friend was smiling wide.
"It wasn't just me."
"But you got hurt. You're the boss of it all."
"I'm not the boss. We work together. It's a family with one goal."
"That's so cool. How can we help?" The first girl wondered.
Sometimes when there were things in the press, people were interested. Once the story faded, they lost it.
"If you want, come by the office in a few days. We can talk about it." I offered.
"Okay. Thanks. Later."
They smiled and walked off. I wondered if they'd come by and what I'd get them to do if they did. I pulled out my phone to check my messages. Two from Pam. One asked how I was doing and the other was about my report and that people were still waiting to talk to me: radio and tv news. I called her back and asked her to tell the prosecuting attorney I'd have the report for him in the afternoon. As for the statement, I'd have to come up with something to satisfy but not give any information away. I was concentrating on talking to Pam and not watching things around me. When the chair across from me was pulled out, a man in a hoodie (hood pulled over his head) sat down. I kinda ignored him. I felt him staring and it made me nervous.
"I have to go Pam. Call you later." I started to stand.
"Okay. Tell your Boy I said hello." She replied.
"I will. Bye."
Absentminded in my rush to leave, I hit my leg on a chair and the pain shot up.
"I think you need my help." The man had a gravely voice.
"Thanks. I'm fine." I stepped over to place my empty cup on the counter.
A hand grabbed my arm, pulled me back and forced me to look at him. The white face, those blue eyes. It was only the too red lips and unnerving smile that made me look twice.
"Shit. You scared me." I confessed.
"Isn't that the idea?" He was still in character.
"Maybe, but I've enough of that." I felt his grip.
"Come on. It's time to go." He started to lead me outside.
"Everything alright Miss?" The male barista watched what was going on.
"Mind your business." Jared growled.
"Hey look buddy...." He was ready to help if it was needed.
"No wait. It's okay." I raised my hand.
"But...."
"Trust me. I'll make him a puppy dog at home."
It didn't help his worry, until I shook off Jared's hand, walked out in front of him like I could care less. I knew he'd play until we got back to the hotel.
"You'd better stop." He ordered.
"Why? Are you going to hurt me?" I walked as fast as my leg would let me.
"There may be some punishment involved."
"Big promises. If you're done. Let's go. I'm tired."
Finally getting back to the shuttle bus, Jared grabbed and pushed me against the side. His eyes shined under the hood, face almost ghostlike. He was trying to be forceful, but I saw my wonderful love behind it.
"I'm not scared of you." I placed my hand son his hips.
"You should be. I'm not very nice right now." He pressed against my body.
"Maybe but once I get you back, after you clean all this off, I know that my Cali Boy will be just what I need. And I'm happy to give him anything he wants." I let my hands move to his tight ass.
Seeing his mind working, I knew Jared was wondering if he should keep it up. Quickly, he grabbed my hand, we got on the bus and sat quietly until getting back to the trailers, then to the car going back to the hotel.