Just Til It's Safe.

The drive home wasn't the worst part of leaving the investigation. Going home was. Being home, I knew I had pissed off the things that lived in the house. Not only were small china glasses ripped apart on the floor, but the living room was a mess, and photo-frames were broken. There was nothing to do but sweet them up. I felt bad for leaving the investigation. But, I couldn't stay there – I hated that place, I vowed that I would never go back. And look, I did and look what had happened? I'm just going to keep my distance from the building.

After I cleaned up the mess in the living room, I saw on the couch and broke down. I was sobbing to myself, I couldn't believe I had let my guard down and trusted those men. I had just met them, I couldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. I knew Zak wouldn't be able to protect me. He was just like me, but a little tougher. But look what happened? I curled up in a ball on the couch and sobbed some more. Why did I go? I could've not only saved myself from the emotional damage I had caused myself but the physical damage too. Slowly, I fell asleep on the couch, until the shrill of my cell phones ring-tone woke me up hours later.

It scared me actually, I jumped off the couch and onto the floor, hitting my head against the glass coffee table. “Ugh.” I groaned out loud rubbing my head where I had connected with the table. I picked up my phone to see Zak was calling me. I picked up my phone, and with a half annoyed, “Hello?” I answered it.

“Wow, are you okay? You sound beat up.” Zak's concerned voice rattled through the speaker. I never noticed how damn annoying his voice could be.

“I'm perfect.” I hissed, my sarcasm coating it like caramel on an apple.

“Oh.” Zak replied, his voice soft, “Well, I just wanted to see how you were doing. We are finishing up the investigation, I wanted to know if you felt better, and if you wanted us to stop by later in the morning.” Zak's voice was a genuine concern, and I really wanted them to stop by. I wanted to see what evidence they'd caught, and see if they could show me some.

“Sure.” I smiled, “That'd be cool.”

“Cool. Where do you live?” Zak asked.

“This apartment complex called 'Cottage Ridge'. It's building 3, apartment 34.” I answered.

“Alright,” Zak replied, “We will head out there. About 30 minutes we should be there, unless Aaron gets us lost.” I heart Aaron yell at Zak from the background, and I laughed.

“Okay.” I replied, “See you soon.”

“Stay safe.” Zak's voice mimicked my caution last night, and I giggled. “See you soon.” I hung up the phone and smiled.

===

I half ran to my room to change my clothes. I stripped, and put on a black T-shirt that said “Swag” on it, and a pair of white shorts. I put my hair up in a ponytail and took out my contacts before slipping on my glasses. Then, I pulled on some mis-matched socks before I walked out of the room. I went to the kitchen and poured a glass of milk and grabbed a pop-tart from the cupboard before I made my way into the living room, turned on the TV to MTV and ate.

As soon as I was done with it, there was a soft knock at my door. In a hurry, I threw the wrapper to my pop-tart away and walked to the door – answering it nonchalantly. Zak stood there with Nick and Aaron behind him. Zak was holding duffel bag and was in a sweater, trying to beat the coldness of the Pennsylvania air. “Hurry up,” I joked, “Get in here. My neighbors are going to think I'm a prostitute.” Zak and Aaron laughed at that as Nick rolled his eyes.

“She's got humor like yours. Aaron.” Nick said. It was my turn to laugh then. They shuffled inside the warm house, and I closed the door behind them. They stood there, almost uncomfortable. “You feel that?” Nick half whispered to the other boys, “Something don't want us here.”