6 The Disappearance Of Jesus De Galindez

Born in Spain, Jesus de Galindez lived in the Dominican Republic for six years before moving to New York City in 1946. He became a political science professor at Columbia University and worked on a doctoral dissertation denouncing the brutal practices of Dominican dictator Rafael Trujillo. Trujillo reportedly had his agents offer Galindez $25,000 to discard the dissertation, but Galindez refused. On the evening of March 12, 1956, Galindez finished teaching a class at Columbia and accepted a ride from one of his students to the subway station at 57th Street and 8th Avenue. After Galindez entered the station, he was never seen again.Nine months later, Galindez's case was connected to another strange disappearance when the abandoned car of an American pilot named Gerald Murphy was discovered next to a seaside cliff near the capital of the Dominican Republic. By this point, an investigation had uncovered evidence that Galindez had been abducted from the subway and put on a plane flown by Murphy and another pilot named Octavio de la Maza. Galindez was subsequently delivered to Rafael Trujillo, who ordered his execution. Murphy had allegedly leaked details about his involvement in the Galindez disappearance to his fiancee, and it wasn't long before he also went missing.Even though Murphy's body was never found, the Dominican government arrested Octavio de la Maza for his murder. In January 1957, de la Maza was found hanging in his cell, leaving behind a suicide note in which he confessed to pushing Murphy off a cliff. Unsurprisingly, most people believe the note was a forgery. Even though Jesus de Galindez was never found, the story ended with some poetic justice when de la Maza's brother participated in Trujillo's assassination in 1961.