Chapter 62

It was a rainy day, year 2001. Twenty years ago. I was seven and walking through an abandoned neighborhood where kids were usually playing. I can't believe how someone can not love rain because I truly enjoy it. I've always loved the way those small explosions awaken the excitement in me yet, the fresh air somehow pushes the feeling of peace next to it and I'm left struggling whether I should run like an idiot and laugh or just close my eyes and imagine I'm on the clouds, watching how the raindrops appear and fall. Rain was always so special, meaning a new start of everything. At least to me. I could walk soaked through the streets of L.A. for hours until I thought my mom and dad would be worried and then I usually go home.

Heavy bag with groceries is weighing in my hand and I struggle to pull it up and lean it against my shoulder. I had to steal Riker's allowance for school again because I wanted to buy candy and mom had no money to give me. I may be little but ever since I was rewarded with conscience, I knew that we were poor. I knew that my parents struggled and it hurt to watch them fight for hours about where the last penny for this month went. At times like that, my siblings and I spent hours in our room, just playing games and laughing to get mom and dad off of our minds. It worked, we began shutting them out and building our own little world.

Riker is gonna be mad at me if he finds out I stole his allowance again but he will let it go soon. I just had to buy candy because I was running out of sugar and was about to collapse. I smile at the thought and walk farther, looking up at the gray, clouded sky. It scared me when it's like that even though I love rain so I speed up and stare at my feet as I walk.

"Look at that. We have some kid wandering around without his mommy. ", sudden laugh breaks my thoughts and I look up, facing four big guys with some sticks in between their lips. What exactly is that?

"Hey, kiddo. What's up with the sad face? ", dark haired boy asks me a question and my innocence made me believe he was actually trying to be nice.

"I'm sad because I didn't have enough money to buy my brothers and sister a candy like I did for myself. ", I Iook away and they use my moment of vulnerability to grab the bag out of my hands and push me to the ground. Mom said no talking to the strangers and what did Ross do? He talked to them. Way to go, Ross..

"We'll get rid of this one for you so you don't feel so bad. Don't worry. ", one of them grins at me and I stare up at him. Fear and bravery are battling inside of me but I can't decide which one wins as I keep on sitting on the cold, wet concrete.

"What's that in your mouth? ", my shaky voice finally speaks. The guys look at each other and back at me. I feel so exposed under their killing gazes.

"Get up. ", dark haired maniac grips my shoulders and pulls me to my feet.

I wince when he cages my wrists behind my back and try to release out of his grip. No use. I'm too weak and I hate being so little. I wish that I could grow up right now, before their eyes, so I could teach them a lesson.

"What do we do with him? Rape him? ", the biggest one of them asks and I begin to wonder what does that mean. I've never heard that word before.

"Fuck your gay side, Sean. We will do much better. Give me the cigarette. ", the one holding me says.

Sean guy gives him a brand new cigarette and that's when I realize that's how the sticks in their mouths are called. The rain has stopped by now and the blonde guy with hoodie pulls out a lighter. My heart dances at the flame and I begin to wiggle for my escape.

"Let m go! ", I cry out and repeatedly kick the guy's ribs. He buries his fingers into my hair and pulls at it so hard that it's on the edge to be ripped from my scalp. Unwanted tears prick at my eyes as I sob but I don't let them fall.