Chapter 2

After the party Maura insisted that they go back to her place to finish the night.

"It's almost my birthday Maura. You can give me my gift now..."

"Jane quit whining. You still have 10 minutes, besides it's not here yet."

As soon as the words slipped from her mouth they heard a knock at the door.

Maura went to unlock the door and a man stepped inside with an envelope. Jane made sure to get a good look at the man just in case he made one false move. Maura took him in the kitchen, signed some papers and was given a plastic bag full of some things.

Maura shook his hand and held something behind her.

"Jane... I have your gift."

"Ok well, can I have it?"

"Yes. You can have your gift in 2 minutes. I have some champagne and I have one more gift that I would like to give you but that one comes tomorrow.

Maura popped the Dom Perignon bottle and dropped slices of one of the British strawberries for Bass in the glasses.

"It is now midnight! Happy birthday Jane! You are my best friend and I hope this gift speaks volumes." Maura said smiling as her phone's alarm went off.

"Oh, wait... I forgot. We have to sing the birthday song as part of the custom. Haaappppyyy Bbiiirrrthday-"

Jane stopped the vocal torturer right in her tracks. "Okay Maur no. No, just please,…you sang to me earlier. It's really okay, you don't have to sing it again."

"Oh, ok well here it is! Happy 34th Birthday Jane!" Maura gushed as she placed the plastic zipped bag into her hands.

What Jane saw almost made her want to run around dancing and screaming, yet all she could do was stand silent and look at it.