Chapter 9

Reed left the New York team to handle the interrogation of the two lackeys caught along with Frank. It was doubtful they would have anything useful to add to what Frank had already told them, and if they did, Barry was sure to let him know. His first task after leaving their offices was to take his car out for a drive. He hadn't originally planned on going anywhere in particular but after fifteen minutes he suddenly found himself parking across the street from the house that Blake currently occupied. He was staying there in the bed and breakfast capacity, along with Ayah.

As soon as he realized where he had ended up, he shut the engine off and contemplated the area. Larris had already given him detailed schematics on the building so they could figure out a decent point of entry and what possible exits might be open to them when they finally decided to make their move. Reed had no doubt they would be force to rescue his wife. If she attempted to escape and failed, she was likely to cause more trouble for herself. She was good enough at doing that by herself on an ordinary day without going to the extent of doing so on purpose, by trying to escape.

Blake was visible from where Reed had parked. He seemed agitated, pacing back and forth outside the back entrance to the house, smoking a cigarette and talking on his mobile phone. Smoking was a new habit, but considering everything he'd been through with Ayah over the years, Reed really couldn't blame him for being constantly in need of relaxation. The thought almost made him smile. Until he realized that to be smoking at that moment, unless he was completely addicted already, Ayah had to have done something particularly frustrating to make him go seeking nicotine.

Reed watched carefully for signs of movement or life in the rest of the house but it was useless, there were multiple indoor lights on but no sign of where Ayah might be. And no way of discerning one shadow from another. That was when he noticed Blake picked at his knuckles. A wave of knowing swept over him in the same way it used to when he still worked for the agency and he had noticed something that his brain wanted him to analyze in more detail.

Why would Blake, who never liked getting his hands dirty, be picking at his knuckles? He was unlikely to have hit anyone or taken part in the exacting of any of his personal grievances. The only thought that came to Reed was one that sent his spine tingling and made his fists clench over the steering wheel.

Ayah. Of course.

For some reason, his delightful, beautiful and intelligent wife was unable to keep herself out of harms way. No doubt she had pushed his buttons until he exploded or she had done something to tip the balance of power, and if there was one thing Blake hated, it was things not going his way. Ayah was completely incapable of allowing anyone to rule over her the way Blake wanted to. Although he would admit, as his wife, would that she allowed Reed more control within their relationship than she would ever allow anyone else. But then their relationship wasn't quite normal.

He just wished that he could see her. Just for a few minutes. Just a glimpse, to make sure she was okay. He wouldn't know what Blake got up to or how he treated her until he had her home with him; and that was when he decided to do what he could to find out what was going on. He was going to get access to Blake's personal phone records and those of the bed and breakfast.

"Fred, I want all phone records that have anything to do with Blake; mobile, house, the B&B, even the Museum." Reed gave Fred a few moment to register who was talking to him and what he was saying, sure that he would be writing it down. There were no issues with distance as the boys had set up their base in his home, and he would soon be returning there. But he couldn't wait until he got home to relay the message. Things were moving too slow and he was about to do something stupid if they didn't get some decent answers soon.

"Then I want you to check who he's calling and get us patched in to whichever phones prove more interesting. Either way I want his mobile on constant lock-down I don't want him calling anyone when we can't hear what he's saying." He sighed into the phone, watching as Blake finished his phone call and headed inside. His guts twisted in apprehension for Ayah.