Chapter Sixteen - The New Instructor

Start from the beginning

"Do you remember the placement exam?" She asked me while leaning against the wall with her arms crossed over her chest.

"How could I forget where we first met?" I asked sarcastically and she narrowed her eyes at me.

"Let me be more specific," she clarified through gritted teeth. "Remember the time I made you cry in front of dozens of Supernaturals?" When I glared at her, a smirk rose onto her face in victory. "Good, because so do I. We do background research on everyone before they step foot into the arena for the first time. You family life and house were all things that I both know and have seen. I used that information and formulated a scene in your head that you couldn't help but think it was real. Well, not so much. You were able to catch a flaw, but most people can't. This is called mental manipulation and I'm going to try to teach you how to do it. It could prove useful when fighting Catchers that are protecting Katherine, but I don't think it would have any effect on her."

She began sending pictures into my mind, showing me how she is able to control her brain and propel power onto another person's. She would mess with mine, sending me to random places, such as the jungle or New York City, or doing something terrifying like making me believe I was drowning.

"You see how it could be a weapon now?" She asked while I coughed and struggled to catch a breath a horrible dreamlike state.

I gasped. "Got it."

It was different than the other abilities that I have, as those have never been involving another person. To reach into someone's mind was a difficult thing, and I was having problems completely investing myself within. While I could get a touch of it, I couldn't reach in and plant myself entirely inside.

"How do you expect to kill the person in charge of the Catchers if you can't even learn this one thing?" Sophia groaned, exasperated over my many failed attempts.

"I've been here for hardly a week, bear with me a little," I said with a glare aimed towards her.

"You're useless," she muttered and looked up at the time. "And it's time for lunch. We'll meet up later for more training."

She stalked away leaving me breathing heavily and taking sips of my water. After a tough couple hours of training, sweat was already dripping down my face and I probably looked like a mess. I bet I looked better during the placement exam compared to today, and I was awful then.

Cole came over to my in the middle of my recovery and stood over my exhausted form. He looked like nothing had happened today, just a normal day of training and light exercise.

"You don't look too good," He commented and I glared up at him.

"You know, you shouldn't say that to a lady."

He gave me a look. "Pretty sure you can take the truth, Sweaty. I haven't lied to you yet, and I don't plan to."

He offered me a hand which I gratefully took before he helped me up. The others were all still finishing up their own trainings so Cole and I took the initiative to just leave to get lunch. As soon as we exited the room, the Supernaturals hanging out outside, having just got out of their own sit-down lessons, stopped talking and stared.

With my head tucked down, Cole led the way while the eyes followed us out. It was unnerving and uncomfortable, but luckily no one engaged us to ask questions or voice their concerns. I remember Galen mentioning our Markings during the assembly yesterday to entire place, so I saw some eyes trailing down to see if they could catch a peek of it on my back. All of us were wearing our short sleeved workout gears today, so there would be a very slim chance of anyone seeing any of ours.