Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

Clara grinned nastily. "Rats have been known to kill cats."

"Yeah, but only if they know where the cat is," I pointed out.

"We'll find her," said Clara confidently.

"You just want your knife back." It was the first time I'd attempted a joke with her.

Clara looked faintly surprised, then a smile spread across her face, a real smile rather than the predatory grin of a moment ago. "True."

Ethan wasn't amused. "How are we supposed to find her? She's like a damn ghost."

"We'll find a way," I said. It wasn't an answer; it wasn't even a helpful thing to say, but I was too tired to start drawing up battle plans. And Clara needed sleep more than any of us. I wasn't sure she'd slept at all in the last forty-eight hours.

She must have been thinking the same thing for she said, "We will, but not tonight. Let's just be happy that Riley's safe and Leon's no longer a threat."

She stepped out of the doorway and onto the front lawn.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"Home."

Something twisted inside me. I wasn't imagining the bond that had started to grow between Clara and the rest of us, and it hadn't occurred to me that she'd go back to the team.

"You know you can stay here if you like," Luke said, shooting a look at his parents for approval. Neither of them objected.

Clara actually looked hesitant. "I appreciate that, but I'm still not sure where I fit in here. I need some time and space to think."

I nodded, swallowing my disappointment. After everything she'd done for us, it seemed absurd that she'd leave us now and go back to Noah's house. But we couldn't rush her. Going back to the team didn't mean Clara was severing the friendship that had grown between us, but we couldn't expect her to drop everything and start a new life crashing on Samuel and Elena's sofa.

Out of the corner of my eye I looked at Ava, but she was staring at the floor, her face impossible to decipher. I couldn't tell if she minded Clara leaving, or if she wanted to go with her.

Clara nodded to us and headed off into the night. I watched her go until she was swallowed by the shadows, then I closed the door. Ava was still here. It had only been a matter of days since she'd stood on the back doorstep, refusing to come inside, and now it didn't look like she was going to leave.

I caught Elena's eye, wondering if she or Samuel would mind, but she just gave me an indulgent smile.

"I'd better get back upstairs," Ethan said, and jogged up the stairs before anyone could say anything.

Elena tugged her husband's elbow. "I don't know about you, but I'm hungry."

They headed for the kitchen, and Ava hesitantly followed them, giving me and Luke a moment alone.

"How long do you think it'll be before he lets Riley out of his sight?" I asked, hearing Ethan's bedroom door close.

Luke slid an arm around my waist. "A few days at least."

"Is that how long it would take you?"

Luke smiled, but there was a grim edge to it. "If someone was stupid enough to kidnap you, no one would see me for a few days because I'd be too busy hunting them down."

I matched his smile. "If someone was stupid enough to kidnap me, I'd punish them before you had a chance to."

"Don't count on it."