Chapter Thirteen

Kefira wasn't so sure why she was excited about classes, probably because it was her first time taking classes. After being home-schooled like the rest of her sisters, she was curious as to what it was even like sitting in a classroom among her peers that were all learning the same thing that she was. Most of her home-school lessons, involved her mother sitting her at the kitchen table and going over her lessons before tending to her sisters and the rest of the house. With her mother's back turned assisting her sisters, Kefira normally took the opportunity and snuck out of the house to go play outside.

That usually never went over well with her mother.

When she entered the potions class, a wide grin grew on her face as she saw Professor Snape standing in the front of the classroom.

He did not return the smile.

"Hi Professor Snape!" she greeted.

"Take a seat, Miss Walsh."

"Most people respond with hello." she replied smartly taking a seat with Faye who stared at the intimidating man.

"Seems like you know him already?" Faye whispered to her as other students poured into the class.

"He's the one who accompanied me to Diagon Alley for the first time, so I could get all my stuff for school. Total buzzkill."

"Miss Walsh," hands were placed down on the table before them, as the two girls looked up to see Professor Snape looming over them.

Faye scooted her chair back but Kefira just looked up at him with a innocent blink.

"Yes, Professor Snape?"

"I will not tolerate chit-chat during my lessons, is that understood? It will result in house points being lost-"

"I'd hardly call that chit-chat, Sir. Considering one of my classmates was asking a simple question and I answered it."

Luckily for Kefira, just as Professor Snape went to either deduct points, give her detention or both, someone else walked in, grabbing the man's attention.

Kefira glanced over her shoulder to see Harry Potter walk in and instantly watched as Snape's eyes narrowed at the boy.

It seems Snape could possibly hate someone more than Kefira.

"That was a close one." Faye sighed in relief. "Are you trying to get detention in our first class?"

"He started it."

With the attention off of Kefira, Professor Snape was occupied with mocking Harry calling him the new celebrity of the school before proceeding to tell the first years what they were going to be brewing.

A boil-cure brew was their first lesson, paired up to a cauldron, the students were supposed to complete it by the end of the class.

While Faye read, Kefira was supposed to pour in the ingredients, however, many times Faye had to stop Kefira from pouring in far too much of one ingredient.

Suddenly, there were shouts to the side of them. The two girls looked over to where Seamus had been paired with Neville, and somehow their cauldron was melting.

"What did you do?!" Seamus said as the boiling potion threatened to spill as the cauldron continued to melt.

Neville stammered trying to honestly figure out what he had done before he was covered in the boiling mixture, causing him to cry out.

Professor Snape went over and while he cleaned up the mess, he continued to scold Neville.

"He's burned." Kefira called out to the man, knowing the scolding session could wait if a student was in pain.

With irritation written clearly across the professor's face, Snape instructed Seamus to bring Neville to the Hospital Wing.

As the two boys left, he told everyone to continue working quietly.

"The man has some serious anger problems." Kefira said as they exited the class.

"You think so?" Faye chuckled. "I swear the entire time we were in class, he only had one facial expression."

"Trust me he's kept that same facial expression since I met him back at my house."

The two girls made fun of their Professor's faces, walking around with smug looks before bursting into giggles.

"What was the deal with that Potter kid too?" Faye said. "Did you see the way he mocked him in the beginning?"

Kefira shrugged. "Maybe they know each other too. But I think it's safe to bet on that Professor Snape hates everyone."

"Wonder what made him so bitter?"

"I dunno. Neville!" Kefira became quickly distracted as she saw the boy at the end of the hall walking towards them. 

"Hey Kefi. Hey Faye." he greeted them quietly.

"Are you okay?" Kefira asked him. "You looked like you were burned pretty badly."

"Well, Madam Pomfrey worked really quick to heal them up, so it wasn't too bad." he answered. "I can't believe I melted the cauldron." he sighed shamefully.

"I know," Kefira said, " IT WAS GREAT!"

"What?"

"Did you see Seamus' face!?" Kefira laughed. "I would so pay to see it again. Priceless. Good job Neville."

Good job, Neville, the words played over and over in his head because it was the first time anyone had said it to him.