Chapter 1

Chapter 1

*****************************************

As they were walking along the creek on his parents farm Caleb looked down at the top of the head of the young woman walking beside him. He loved her so much. About that time she looked up at him and rewarded him with a big smile. Their eyes met and locked. He slowly lowered his head to kiss the lips smiling up at him but was prevented by a voice saying; "She's too young! She's too young!"

For what seemed like the ten thousandth time Caleb sat up in bed sweat pouring down his face. He punched his pillow and thought to himself, "Why can't I get her out of my head!" He tossed and turned to the sound of the ticking of the clock, trying to go back to sleep. Just before dawn he managed to fall into a dreamless sleep.

It was a busy day for Caleb. He desperately needed a nap but it seemed like every man and boy in town was in need of a haircut that day. When he finished cutting the hair of his last customer and was about to close up shop his brother Adam walked through the door to ask for a haircut but bit back his words when he saw the haggard look on his brother's face.

He asked; "Caleb, are you ok, you're not sick are you? You don't look well."

"I am fine. How are the twins?"

"The twins are fine and so is Ruth and so is everyone else in case you were going to ask. Now quit stalling, Caleb, you're forgetting who you're talking to. This is Adam. We grew up together remember. You look plain haggard."

"I've just had a hard day that's all. It seems like every male in the county needed a haircut."

Not convinced Adam walked over and put his wrist against his brother's forehead to see if it was warm.

Pushing his brother's arm away Caleb said; "Awe Adam can't you leave it be?"

Adam turned his brother around to look at his reflection in the mirror and said; "Look at yourself; you look like death warmed over! You've had busy days before and they haven't affected you like this. I believe you may be coming down with something."

Caleb, realizing that his brother wasn't going to give up, finally said; "I am not sick, sick at heart maybe but not physically. I am not getting enough sleep at nights I guess. I keep having the same dream over and over again and it is bothering me. I wish it would go away."

"What is your dream about?"

"It isn't important. It's just a silly dream."

"I know it's just a dream but you said it is bothering you. Maybe you would feel better if you talked about it with someone. If you don't want to talk about it with me I understand. Just remember I am always willing to listen if you change your mind."

"Well, maybe it would help. It's about a young woman and me. We are walking along the creek on the farm. I look down at the top of the head of the young woman walking beside me. I love her so much. About that time she looks up at me and she rewards me with a big smile. Our eyes meet and lock. Then I slowly lower my head to kiss the lips smiling up at me but am prevented by a voice saying; "She's too young! She's too young!" Then I wake up in a sweat. I can't get it or her out of my head."

"You keep referring to her as a woman. Are you sure you don't recognize her?"

Turning red and unable to lie to his brother Caleb said; "I do know who it is but would rather not say."

"I understand. It sounds like you really love this person. I think you need to go and talk to her and tell her how you really feel."

"That's just it. She is only nineteen. There's five years between us. She's too young to be thinking of marriage."

"Caleb there's eight years between Ruth and I. I have to admit that I didn't share how I felt with Ruth right away. I was afraid she would turn me away and not want anything to do with me at all. I was almost thirty. I almost lost her too. If you want to be happy sometimes you just have to take a chance and jump in feet first."

"I know and that is what worries me, that I might lose her, I mean. And it's not just that she is so young, I also wonder what she would see in a guy like me. I don't have a lot to offer her, a barber shop with a couple of rooms in the back. I just don't know what to do."

"I think you need to tell her. One thing's for certain once you get it off your chest maybe you can get a good night's sleep and you will stop looking so haggard. Of course you'll do what you want."

"I'll think about it."

Adam started for the door and said; "You do that. I'll see you later OK?"

Caleb was startled by his brother's abrupt parting and said; "Wait a minute, what did you come in for?"

"I was going to ask for a haircut but I think I'll wait until you're more rested."

"What's the matter? Don't you trust me? I promise I won't make a mess of it."

"It's not that, you look really exhausted and it'll wait. Besides I've been gone from Ruth and the babies long enough, how about tomorrow around noon?"

"I'll keep it open for you."

Caleb locked up after Adam and turned to finish cleaning up. After he was finished he went over to the diner for supper. He ordered a burger and fries with ice tea. He had taken two bites when a young woman came in and he almost choked because he thought it was her, until she turned where he could see her face, then he realized that he was mistaken. It was understandable though. The way she walked and the fact that she chose the same booth. And she also wore her hair just like her; it was the same color and style. He also remembered that she had an outfit just like the one that the girl had on. She wore it often when she and the others met at the diner. Caleb tried to finish his supper but his heart just wasn't in it. He left a tip for the waitress and headed for home. The waitress tried to catch him to see if she could put it in a doggie bag for him or if something was wrong with the food but his mind was clearly on something else and he didn't hear her.

Caleb didn't hear the waitress because his mind was on her. He was wondering what she was doing and who with. When he got home he did fifty pushups, took a shower, and then lay down to read hoping the story he was reading would keep the dream at bay. Caleb grew drowsy; the book fell from his listless fingers and.....

As they were walking along the creek on his parents farm Caleb looked down at the top of the head of the young woman walking beside him. He loved her so much. About that time she looked up at him and rewarded him with a big smile. Their eyes met and locked. He slowly lowered his head to kiss the lips smiling up at him but was prevented by a voice saying; "She's too young! She's too young!"

Caleb woke up with a jerk, wiping the sweat from his brow. With a groan he fell back on his pillow. "It's hopeless!"

*******************************************

Author's Note: Here is the first chapter. This story is being written from a different angle and I hope you all like it. Don't forget to vote and comment. I like to know what my readers think about my stories. Happy reading, Tigger