The Teddy Job

"Kara I'm so sorry, we'll get her back, this is all my fault." Elliot growled as he punched the wall standing in the kitchen.

"It's not your fault, it's mine. This is all my fault. My goddamn revenge plan." I finally broke pacing back and forth.

"What revenge plan?" Elliot asked still fuming.

"It's what I wanted to talk to you about. Sixteen years ago, you worked for Moroe." I said beckoning him to follow me.

"How do you know about that?" Elliot asked with his guard going up.

"Down here." I said as I moved the bookcase door revealing my basement headquarters.

"What is all of this?" He asked as we walked down the steps.

"My father worked for Henric Moroe. He was an accountant, or so I used to think. He got wrapped up in something." I explained as Elliot started putting the pieces together.

"One day, armed gunmen broke into our house, shooting my father, then me and my mother as we tried to run. I barely survived." I said pulling up my shirt and pointing out the scar.

"I shot you." Elliot said picking up the only photo I had left of my family.  "You're the one leaving the photos."

"You were the last one on my list, I thought it would be easy, easy to hurt you. I blamed you for the last decade, after that day, I should've died." I said taking a deep breath as I sat down.

"I haven't picked up a gun since that day." He said taking a seat next to me. "That day, it's the biggest reason I do what I do now, I don't kill anymore. I work with a team." He said looking at me with sorrowful eyes. The anger pushed aside.

"I know, I know your team, It wasn't until I got to know you that I started to believe you really had changed. I want to hate you." I said quietly. Elliot looking into my eyes as we sat there.

"You should hate me, I was a monster." His voice broke as he said the words.

"I've become a bigger monster, you've done nothing but take care of me, and I still kept up with my plan, even before this, I couldn't keep going. I get it if you don't want to help me get her back, I'll figure it out." I croaked out before Elliot took my hands in his.

"We'll get her back. I owe you that much." His words were genuine. We sat there a moment just staring at each other before we heard shouting from upstairs.

"Elliot!" I heard a male voice callout from the top of the steps.

He and I went walking up to see his team standing there. The man shouting was the same man from the bar. Nathan ford, he was a legend these days. Behind him the hacker known as Hardison, the small blonde waitress from the bar, she's most likely the thief only know as Parker. The last person was a woman, she and I had met once before. She was a grifter, her name changing as often as her clothes.

"You must be Elliot's girlfriend. Nice to meet you. Tell me what happened" Nate said offering me his hand as he walked in commanding the situation.  

"I'm not, it doesn't matter. Henric Moroe kidnapped my friend Kayte, it happened within the past two hours. There's no signs of them or who took her. I have security cameras but I don't think they'll be helpful." I said trying to catch Nate up to speed. Elliot handed him the ransom note as vague as it was.

"What do you have that he wants." He said looking at Elliot.

"Not Elliot. Me, and I don't know. I think he's under the wrong impression." I corrected as Nate looked at me, wheels turning.

"How do you know him?" He asked with a suspicious look.

"My dad worked for him, I don't even know how he found me. There's a grave with my name on it." I explained as I motioned them down to my basement hideout.

Nate suspiciously looked at everything, piecing together my connection to all of it. Hardison sat down at my computer desk and began pulling up the footage.

"Not a bad setup you've got here." He complimented me as he plugged his hard drive in.

"Far warning I've had your bar bugged for months, I'll explain later." I said putting my head down.

"Kara right? Can I have a word?" Sophie asked motioning for me to follow her upstairs. I obliged as I led her to the kitchen.

I pulled the kettle from the cabinet as put some water on. I got out two mugs with a nod from Sophie and set them out as we sat at the little kitchen table. She sat looking at me for a moment before speaking.

"So, start at the beginning. Tell me everything." She said staring at me. Her voice calm but commanding.

"Kayte and I had a fight, she went out to the barn and I-" she cut me off before I could finish.

"No, I mean your connection to Moroe and to Elliot, I can assume it's either you or him who's been tormenting Elliot for the past month." She said as I rose from my place to collect the now screaming kettle. 

As I did Parker appeared behind me messing with my hair. She was harmless upon first impressions. But I knew to watch my back with her.

"Your hair is like fire." She said popping her hands open with a slightly disturbing smile. I tried to ignore it as I carried the kettle back to the table.

As I sat down pouring the water from the kettle Parker rummaged the kitchen. Sophie and I sitting across from each other once more. I took a deep breath before starting at the beginning.

"I was adopted when I was about 4 by Margery and Jason Andrews. We were a normal family. They were good to me, my mom was in the PTA, my dad was just an accountant." I paused as I fixed my tea.

"I didn't learn until I was older that my father some how started working for Moroe. I've come to the conclusions that he tried blackmailing him to get out." I continued as Parker sat down next to us crunching on chips.

"Go on, anything you can think of might help." Sophie encouraged putting her hand on mine.

"We were headed on vacation in a few days, that's when it happened. Three armed men stormed our house. One of them shouted 'payback Andrews!' Before firing the gun, my mother and I tried to run, but one of the men, Elliot, shot us. I was the only survivor." I said putting my head down. Parker staring shocked, Sophie un phased.

"So it's been you playing head games with him?" She asked raising an eyebrow.

"He already knows, I was already planning on coming clean, I couldn't keep doing it to him. I-" Sophie cutting me off again

"You love him." She said smiling as I shook my head. 

"No, no, we're just, we're alike that's all. I'm not, no, not at all." I stuttered and stumbled.

"Okay. I won't push. I want you to think, before your parents were killed, did they say or do anything, anything at all?" She encouraged as I sat there trying to remember.

"Oh, you're right that was then wasn't it, my dad gave me a stuffed bear. Normally that wouldn't be weird but I was a teenager by that point. He said something about it being important to to keep it safe. I never thought much of it. I still have it. I'll be right back" I said excusing myself from the table.

I blew past the Boys as they were coming back up the steps before turning the corner. I ran up the hardwood steps almost tripping along the way. Throwing my bedroom door open before diving in. I ran into my closet before starting my digging for the bear.

It only took a couple minutes before the little brown teddy was in my hands. I walked back down the steps looking it over as I went. I was met with stares from Elliot's team who were all sitting around my kitchen table talking. They grew silent as I approached setting it down on the table.

"This is our only lead" declared as I plopped it onto the table.

"A teddy bear?" Nate asked confused as everyone looked at it.

"It's all we've got." I murmured as we stood there. This wasn't going to be easy. But with his team, maybe it was possible. God what have I done?