Ankle Nippers, Indeed

If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution – Emma Goldman

Hoshi began to get a bit more alarmed as sensor readings came back. It wasn't just nuclear fission that was going on. It seemed that there were energy signatures. Those were, perhaps, indicative of Klingon ships coming into the area.

She sent Jennifer Crossman Ramirez to run the Transporter, two at a time and then thought better of it and went over to meet the captain and everyone else in person, leaving Travis briefly in charge on the Bridge.

Malcolm and Phlox beamed up first. "What's the trouble?" Malcolm asked as soon as he saw her.

"I think we've got ships in the area. There are energy signatures."

"Very well. I'll go to the Bridge and relieve Aidan and take a look at whatever readings he's got. Doctor, I suggest you prepare for the possibility of triage. And, and, I'll sound the alert."

Phlox nodded, and jogged down a hallway to get to a lift and head to Sick Bay.

=/\=

"Call an emergency meeting of the Beta Council," Arnis said to Elemus as the humans were departing, "I would like to send our fleet. We may not have a lot of firepower, but we should show our good faith, and try to help out our new friends. I want them to know that we don't want them to just do everything for us."

"Yes, sir," said Elemus, who got the Communications specialist to open a channel to carry out the Alpha's request.

=/\=

"Mother, may I speak truth with you a moment?" Vidam asked Dratha when they had returned home.

"You may always speak truth with me, my first born."

"Mother, I, I went into the room, into Father's room when I heard a crash. And, and it was just he and Inta. She was on the floor and bleeding from her head. She was not moving. Mistra then came in after me and so did the younger ones. Mistra was only coming over in order to intercept the younger ones."

"I want to understand what you are saying, Vidam," Dratha said cautiously, "when you came in, you were but the third person in the room? And Inta was already gone to the place with all of the good smells?"

"Yes, Mother. It, it seems so wrong, what happened, and for Mistra to be blamed. I feel she did nothing, but will pay horribly. It is, I feel, it is unfair and unjust."

"You speak truth?"

"I speak truth."

"We will, something must be done," Dratha said quietly, "let us think about what can be done about this. Tell no one what you have just said to me, my first born. I, I feel it would not be safe for you."

"I will be careful, Mother."

=/\=

As they flew out to the farthest reaches of the Daranaean system, there was a Communications hail. "It's from the surface," said Hoshi.

"On screen," said Jonathan.

"Captain, I'm glad we caught you," said Arnis, "we have contacted our fleet and sent a pack to intercept you."

"A what?"

"We have small ships. They do not have very good firepower but they are fast, and will probably get there before you do. We use a pack formation. The Alpha pack leader is named Acreon. He will be contacting you. Perhaps you can work together. We are prepared to help you – we do not wish for you to fight all of our battles for us. We do value our independence."