fifty two.

For the next two weeks, Lady Leah was put on bed rest. It was for her best intention to not do any strenuous work, including her common chores she did with her mother when she had the time. The nurse forbid it. Her stomach was larger than she expected it to grow. 

There was only one week until her projected due date arrived. The days and nights of the past three months seemed like a whirlwind. So much had happened in that small amount of time. King Robin's death was a shock to the nation, and the devastation of the kingdom's people proved that they could not be informed about Queen Anne's current state. 

She was not doing well. Leah, herself, had only visited her three time before she was put on bed rest. Harry spent every day with his mother in her chambers. His days consisted of eating breakfast with his wife before attending a short, daily meeting with his advisers, and then he disappeared into the Queen's chambers.  

"Here, let me fluff your pillows," Mrs. Bates offered for the second time. The woman was sat on a cushioned chair opposite her daughter who was propped up with dozens of decorative pillows. Mrs. Bates was permitted to spend time with her daughter instead of doing her duties for personal company and informative sessions where Leah had the opportunity to ask her mother questions about welcoming a child into the world.

Leah found the reasons given for her mother's permission to be off work to be silly, but that was the only way Harry could get it passed the authorities of the employers of the castle. Work was taken very seriously at the palace. 

"Seriously, Mother, I'm quite fine, but thank you. I'm comfortable, I promise you," Leah assured her. 

Mrs. Bates sighed. "Your feet are swelled, would you appreciate a warm cloth for it?" 

"I'm okay."

"How about another blanket?"

"Mother, it's summertime. I'm not cold." Leah began to giggle. Her mother was persistent, but it simply sprouted from love. She was worried for her daughter, and rightfully so. Birth was a dangerous task. Leah was a tad frightened herself, but she tried her best to stay calm.

"How about another book from the library? Your collection is looking shallower than the last time I was in here." 

Leah laughed, rubbing at her stomach soothingly. "Mother, I feel as if I've read every single book in that library. I do not need anything, I'd much rather talk with you about how you're doing. Are you still feeling relaxed? How are Ben and Cal getting on with helping the stable keeper and-"

Suddenly the bedroom door burst open and the two women jumped in surprise. Leah instinctively held her bump, scooting her body further away from the door in the bed. Mrs. Bates stood to her feet, but relief flooded them when they saw Prince Harry hastily enter the room with his two guards, looking breathless, step behind him.

"Harry, what's happened?" Leah was quick to say. His face looked distraught and confused. The Prince's cheeks were rosy pink and eyes rather puffy. He didn't speak for a minute, as if waging why he came here in the first place. 

"I..I was with my mother and we were talking b-but.." His voice trailed off, breaking through the syllables as he tried to speak. He, too, was breathless. 

Leah made her way out of the bed, slower than she had hoped for. She walked over to her husband, supporting the bump, and timidly reached up to tilt his chin down to her. 

"Shh, take your time. Is your mother okay?" 

"I don't know, I don't even know why I rushed here so quickly, I-I was told to leave and come back.."

"Who told you that?" 

"The doctor. A guard fetched him after..after she started having hallucinations."