CHAPTER 24 | late night walk

Start from the beginning

Ethan chuckled. "Don't tell him I said this. But he's actually not bad."

She raised an eyebrow. "Well, he's certainly not backwards in coming forward."

Seeing her opportunity to leave, Sydney pulled her coat closer and said, "It's late and I'd better be getting home."

"I'll‑" began Ethan before he was cut off.

Janet, never far from Ethan throughout the evening, materialized at his side. She clung to his arm to halt his departure. A pout on her perfectly made up lips. "You're not going already," she said, as her lashes swept up and she levelled her feline eyes at Ethan. "We're heading to Southside. Why don't you join us?"

Sydney nearly choked at the woman's seductive and smouldering expression. Janet had certainly mastered the come-hither look. With her model-thin frame and stunning looks, Sydney wondered how any man could resist the succubus's charms.

"Not tonight," Ethan said as he pulled away from Janet's grip. "I need to get Sydney home."

To his credit, he looked uncomfortable at the woman's closeness.

Janet unglued her eyes from Ethen and flashed Sydney a venomous glare.

Sydney, who had been on the brink of telling him she was able to make her own way home, closed her mouth and smiled smugly at Janet. She couldn't help herself. The little devil that often perched on her shoulder and whispered in her ear had gotten the better of her. Even though she knew it was childish, not to mention beneath her, it didn't stop the small thrill of victory that rushed through her veins as Janet threw her a frigid look that bounced right off her.

Sydney 1: Bitch 0.

"You could've gone to the club with your friends," Sydney said as they began heading south down Madison. Guilt had suddenly overtaken her. Perhaps he wanted to go and was just being polite?

"I see enough of them at work, and it's been a long week."

She had to admit, he did sound tired. From the snippets of information garnished from Walter, Sydney knew that if he wasn't visiting the hospital, he could always be found at work. Day or night.

Sydney slowed her paced and looked at Ethan. "You do know I can walk myself home, don't you?"

Ethan glanced sideways and then back up again. "I know, but I'd feel a lot happier knowing you got home safely," he said. "Besides, Walter would never forgive me if anything happened to you."

Sydney recalled their earlier conversation and Ethan's unspoken concerns. A rush of empathy flew through her and she restarted their earlier discussion. "You really shouldn't worry about him so much. He's happy and I think understands he's there to get better," she said as they stopped at a crosswalk.

His fixed stare at the other side of the road as they stepped forward with all the other pedestrians reflected his doubt in her words.

"Okay answer me this," she said, realising he was lost in his guilt. "Is he at St Patrick's permanently?"

He frowned and his gaze flickered down to her. "No! Once he's at a point he can no longer be helped, or improved enough to not need help with the basic things, he'll move in with me."

"Why St Patricks?"

"I would have thought you knew why by now," he said stiffly. "They're the best in the state. If he has any chance of improving, it'll be with them."

Sydney shrugged. "So why the concern? You know you've made the best decision possible. One that, may I remind you, not many can."

Ethan seemed to consider her words and let out a deep exhale. "Sometimes I get glimpses of who he used to be. I suppose I've not yet come to terms with the fact that he'll never go back to that."