Chapter 6 - Nico

Jeez, Paris was one touchy girl. Either I really am annoying, or she's a bit off her rocker. I'm going to go  with the latter. 

  While Paris stormed off at dinner, the gears in my brain were working in over drive, trying to come up with a plan to get her back.

  It was common knowledge that Athena's kids were afraid of spiders, so I began devising an idea. What if I...oh, this was going to be perfect.

  That night, I crept quietly down the smooth dirt path between the dark trees, a bag in my hand. The bag was making a scuttling noise, meaning my plan would work extremely well. As I paused in front of the Athena cabin I felt a little bit of pity for Paris. Wait a second, pity?! Where did that come from?! Okay, no. Just no. Not happening. Hello, Nico! This was the chick who tried to glitter you! She deserved this.

  With that thought, I carefully tried the door knob. Locked, of course. Annabeth could be so overprotective...I shook my head and pulled a bobby-pin I'd "borrowed" from one of the Hermes girls from my pocket. I thought it was rather ironic that I stole from a Hermes kid.

  I picked the lock until a heard a small click. I pushed and the door swung open without a sound, most unlike the Hades cabin which sounded like you'd stepped on a hell hound's paw. I have experience in that area, so I would know. Apparently, since no one was living in the Hades cabin, the Hephaestus kids didn't feel the need to oil the door. 

  I stepped forward artfully. Well, artfully in my opinion. Paris's bunk bed was right by the door. Wonderful. I could make a quick get away if necessary. 

  Carefully, I tiptoed over to her bed and watched her for a moment, making sure she wouldn't wake up. I tugged the blanket gently back off of her body. She rolled over and sighed, causing me to nearly hit the ceiling with my head. I pulled the leather drawstring on the bag open and dumped the contents into her bed. A small mob of spiders crowded on the mattress. They began to swarm down into the sheets that were still tangled about Paris's feet to get away from the moonlight which was streaming into the cabin from the slightly open door. I knew I needed to get out immediately, but I wanted to watch. I figured I could climb a tree and watch. Yeah, that was a much better alternative than sticking around and catching Paris's wrath. I flew nimbly threw the open door and shut it quietly.

  I sited out a tall oak tree and began to climb. I stopped when I was up high enough so no one could see me, but I was still low enough to watch the drama unfold. 

  It was about three in the morning. The minutes ticked by slowly, that is until I heard someone stirring in the cabin through the open window. 

  Then, "AAAAAH! SPIDERS!" It was Paris, for sure. There was a loud BANG! and many pairs of scrambling feet hitting the floor.

 The front door was wrenched open, and I saw Annabeth's face as she flew from the cabin. She was obviously terrified.

  "GET THEM OFF OF ME!" I heard Paris screaming. By the sound of her voice she was close to tears. I began to feel guilty again. No, Nico, I told myself. There's no need for you to feel guilty.

  "Please!" She whimpered.

  Annabeth took a deep breath and ducked back into the cabin. "Paris, you're fine. Let me get them...off...of you." Her voice was very hesitant. I watched through the window while Annabeth cringed away from a spider coated Paris. Paris had tear streaked cheeks and was shivering. I flinched when she began to sob again.

  "P-please," She begged. "H-h-hurry." Her breath was hitched.

  "Okay," Annabeth said after a few minutes. "You're good now."

  "Thank the g-gods," Paris stuttered, her teeth chattering.

  "You're fine, Paris. Deep breaths." Annabeth said soothingly.

  Paris took some deep breaths; they were still shaking. "I c-can still feel them c-crawling on me."

  I jumped down from the tree and walked past the still open cabin door, whistling cheerfully.

  I heard someone exit the cabin and I broke into a sweat.

  "Di Angelo!" Oh, crap. I began to walk faster, my hands were getting clammy.

  "Wait!" Paris jogged up behind me and grabbed my arm. I was wearing only a t-shirt and her touch sent an electric shock up my arm. I gasped, and she let go immediately.

  "I think we need to talk," Her voice was much more firm than a moment ago.

  "Erm, okay," I said, feeling quite nervous. I twisted my hands together anxiously as she let me to the lake's shore. It took us a good five minutes to get there, so I was busy forming an alibi.

  When we finally stopped walking, I was ready.

  "We're not supposed to be out here. What about the harpies?" I asked.

  "You didn't seem to worried about them when you dumped a bunch of spiders in my bed!" Paris no longer held her calm demeanor in her hand. It flew out the window along with her fear. Both emotions were replaced with double the anger.

  "Um...well, er, I didn't." I felt my voice begin to shake. All of my bravado was gone. I could almost feel my armor cracking. 

  Paris was more mad than I'd ever seen her. More mad than I could have possibly imagined. She was scary. Really, truly scary.

  "You didn't care about them? Of course not. Big, brave Nico Di Angelo!" She was ticked. "Gods! You know, I wouldn't even have done something so cruel!" Paris's voice was growing louder and louder. "It's not right!" 

  "I--"

  "KNOW WHAT?!" She was shouting now. Good thing we were far away from civilization.

  "Er...no?" I cringed.

  "I NEVER THOUGHT EVEN YOU COULD STAND TO BE SO MEAN!" I could hear her voice quivering.

   "I DIDN'T MEAN TO HURT YOU!" I bellowed. "I JUST THOUGHT IT'D BE FUNNY!"

  "FUNNY?! ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?!" Tears were streaming down her slightly tanned cheeks. "THAT WOULD BE LIKE ME TAKING THE THING YOU MOST FEAR AND--AND--"

  "LISTEN! I DIDN'T MEAN FOR THIS TO HAPPEN! IF I'D HAVE KNOWN HOW TERRIFIED OF SPIDERS YOU WERE I WOULDN'T HAVE DONE IT!" I don't think. I didn't add that though.

  All of sudden Paris was very close to me. "If you ever tell anyone about this...this fear," She seemed horrified by the word fear, "I swear I will kill you." 

  "Isn't that a fear for all Athena's kids?" I asked. I wouldn't be surprised if she did try to kill me; with a temper like that.

  "Yes. But no one needs to know it's one of mine," She growled.

  "But if it's one of all Athena's--"

  "If you ever try anything like that again...Just don't. "Good-bye, Di Angelo." 

  I knew she didn't mean the good-bye part.

  After she'd headed back to her cabin I sat there and stared up at the star strewn sky for a while. I stood and headed back to the Poseidon cabin before I fell asleep on the shore and the harpies got ahold of me. Although, Paris might like me better if that happened. She'd at least feel guilty about yelling at me. Maybe.

  As I lay in bed I wondered what Paris's revenge might be. Of course, she would have to take revenge.

_______________________________________________________

A/N

Hey, Narwhals! Sorry it was short :/. Anywaaaaaaay, what didja think?! Like it? Hate it? LOVE it? I'd love to hear your opinions! Remember to vote, comment, and enjoy!!!

Laters, Narwhaaaaaaaaaaaals!

The Unicorn LOOOOVER :D