Toya

*four months later*

Manhattan at night is a feeling. New York City at night is an experience.

Adjusting my scarf around my neck, I shove my hands back in my pockets as I stroll along with Anne, both walking oddly slow for a such a fast paced city. Even at this late hour, people are hurrying by to get to their plans for a well needed unseasonably warm, winter night.

"Those tacos were divine. We have to go back and check out the other shops in that place." Anne declares, scrolling through pictures of our dinner crawl through a place I can only describe as an artists dream; food of all assortments and prices and wine and beer taps aplenty. I nod silently, memory flickering on the enchanting clock hanging in the middle of a walkway and the hundreds of small lights wrapped around some sort of netting on the ceiling, giving off the illusion of staring at the stars while watching time.

Time stood still almost.

Buying cupcakes from a cupcake atm, we enjoy our sugar filled treats as the lights of Madison Square Garden beckon us to come closer. Pulling out my phone to take a picture of one of my favorite all around venues across from its newer and more in tune younger sibling, Fuse, brings a small smile to my lips.

Noticing a man staring intently at me, I self consciously dart my gaze to my left hand, breathing a sigh of relief that I remembered to swap out my eye catching engagement ring for a subtle midi ring on the finger.

It's perfect really. Cost me maybe $10 bucks, but anybody who knows me... I mean really knows me, knows I don't wear hand jewelry so that in itself is significant.

Anne glances over at me, also uncomfortable with the gaze being directed my way and she ushers both of us more directly into the brightly lit streets that surround MSG and a block or so over, Herald Square. Dipping into H&M, we peruse the clothing racks while dancing and singing along to the songs the in house DJ is spinning.

Not really seeing anything that interests me, I wait for Anne to finish her browsing, taking out my phone to check for messages.

3 from Liam.

Smiling, I open them and respond, making a funny face and snapping a picture to send to him.

"I wonder what else you can do with that mouth." A voice sounds behind me and I stiffen, it's familiarity making me glance around for the nearest weapon.

"You have a death wish showing your face while I'm around." Sneers Anne, appearing from the shoe section, a pair of stilettos dangling dangerously from her hand.

He regards her with a bored expression, eyes flickering to mine in amusement. "This is what he left you as protection? Shameful."

Gritting my teeth and plastering a smile on my face, I walk closer to him, noting his discomfort as me invading his space.

No warning, I send my booted foot straight into his crotch, ignoring the gasps as he falls to the floor. Looking down on him disdainfully writhing on the floor, cupping his sex, I turn on my heel and make my way to the exit, the clatter of hangers hitting a display alerting me to Anne following behind me, shopping long forgotten.

"That's what he gets. Basshole."

I quirk my brow at her.

"Bastard a hole." She supplies, glancing over her shoulder. My eyebrows raise and my lip puckers as if to say "works for me."

Hailing a cab, we go back to my apartment, which thankfully has a doorman and an intense blacklist in place. Plopping down on the couch, Anne channel surfs while I excuse myself to shower and call Liam.

After assuring him that I'm fine, he calms down and let's me talk him back to sleep. Hanging up, I gather my curls to the top of my head and loosely secure them with an elastic. Slipping into one of Liam's shirts, I inhale the faint smell of his cologne, making me relax.

I miss him.

Originally, we were supposed to be getting home from our respective commitments around the same time, but some things came up in London and he had to stay a bit longer.

Taking off the decoy ring and sliding my actual engagement ring back onto its respective finger, I feel a bit more at peace, Liam's promise echoing in my ears:

"You & I."

I remember laughing when he said it, rolling my eyes at how he managed to tie a song title into something that means so much between the two of us.

Looking around, I see it though. My scar covered tattoos he named "Through the Dark." , my iPad he decided would be named "Diana" for bringing pieces of me to his attention and keeping his attention, pulling both he and I from less stellar days. This apartment, our home being "Something Great."

Our something.

My hands drifting to my sides and I smile gently. He doesn't know but I'm adding "Better than words" to our quirky, song titled piece of heaven.

"Toya? You still alive in there?" Anne's voice drifts from the living room.

Stealing another look around the room, I turn the door in slightly and head to the living room where more snacks and water are waiting for me. Anne gives me a knowing grin.

"Don't think I didn't notice."

"I know not what you speak of." I feign innocence.

Anne regards me snacking over her glass of wine. "How's yoga treating you?"

I pop another snack in my mouth. "Mini twix are the stuff of life."

Laughing in understood ambiguity, we settle in to a movie marathon for the ages: bring it on and all of the Cinderella stories.

"So if you're soo obviously Cinderella, does this make me the fairy god mother?" Anne taps her chin thoughtfully. She sends me a pointed look.

I hum, "Not so much fairy, definitely god mother."