Chapter 14

The old chair squeal like a mouse as Halley rock back and forth cuddling the small puppy in her arms. The garden was beautiful. Surrounded by flowers and the warm scenery. She felt at peace for the first time since she married. She hate quarreling every second with her husband. It wasn't healthy. She could feel wrinkles making themselves visible on her forehead.

Smoothing the pup furry hair. She sigh as a tear fell from her eye. This isn't what she wanted to have. A husband she hated and to have that sentiment return. She wanted love and comfort. Her hot temper always got her in trouble.Why couldn't she just keep quiet at times?

" Lady Fisher!" She saw peter running towards her like a lunatic.

Wiping her cheeks with the back of her hand she quickly leap out the chair." What's the matter Peter?"

Peter who was catching his breath began to speak. " It's the puppies one of them is not moving! "

Halley gasps as she ran out of the garden with peter following behind. Reaching the stable she went on her knees where the pups lay in the bulk of hay behind the stable's door." Hold pumpkin for me would you" she said handing the pup to peter.

Looking at the pups one was stiff as a board. Appearantly its mother accidentally lay on it squeezing it to dead. It was very small and probably wasn't allowed necessary food.Why have she been so selfish? She could have taken all the puppies like she did pumpkin.

" Peter I'm sorry but it's dead."

The boy hung his head as he began to sob." I know where we can buried it."

"Where?"

"Under the oak tree with the swing." He reply.

Halley didn't know there was a oak tree with a swing. She need to get out more and stop coping up in the house. With a shuffle in hand along with the dead pup Halley was escorted to the tree. Where she buried the puppy. Making the sign of the cross Halley took pumpkin from Peter and started walking back to the house.

" Peter, how old are you?" She question stepping over some beds of flowers.

"I'm thirteen miss." He reply with a toothily grin. His blond hair look a bit dirty as he removed pieces of it from his face.

Halley smile." Do you know how to read?" She asked with concern. The boy shook his head. Negatively.

"Would you like to?" She asked with a smile. Causing the boy to shake his head eagerly. " I would love to miss. My pa and ma didn't know how to teach me."

"It's alright, Peter," She said hugging him side ways as they continued to walk. " starting tomorrow you would be my student."

Maybe helping peter read would keep her occupied and give the boy a meaningful future. They reached the front door.Where Halley saw Lord Fisher glaring at her angrily. She hadn't saw him since the wedding and he seems to be under some stress and age a bit.

" What are you doing!" He shouted staring at Peter." You should be in the stables!"

Peter was just about to run when Halley grab him by the collar." I didn't say you should go!" She said sternly focusing her gaze back to Lord Fisher.

" Don't you dare speak to him like that! You see him walking with me you have no right to dismiss him!" She shouted.

"He is a servant and should know his place." He retorted. " and it seems like you don't either." This lady was a handful and he admired her strength. He was waiting to see if she would back down but was in for a surprise.

" Oh I know my place Lord Fisher. I am lady of this house. You may have own the place but I run it!" Halley said bluntly pulling the boy with her.

Lord Fisher began to laugh hysterically. What a perfect wife for his son,who is yet to be seen. He had been staying at his other estate in Wessex. Giving the newlyweds some privacy before he came back to visit and discuss business but his son wasn't at home. He shook his head as he climb on top his horse watching the spitfire disappeared in the house.

"Peter go in the kitchen and asked the Cook Mrs. Dole to give you something to eat. " the boy nodded as he ran off almost colliding with a maid who was about to carry hot water upstairs.

" Where are you going with that I didn't instructed a bathe?" Halley inquiried.

"It's not for you mistress. It's for the gentleman upstairs, he is badly injured. " the maid reply hurrying off upstairs.

"Injured man upstairs?" Halley mumbled before lifting her skirt and bolted upstairs.

*****

Don't forget vote and comment :)