III

Arlo was reading a book in, what he liked to call, his safe place.

It consisted of multiple blankets and pillows propped up on the floor, an old record player along with a box of his favourite records (Mainly queen and the Beatles). A pile of books and it always smelled of clean linen sheets.

He was so emerged in his book that he didn't notice Alexzander coming in.

The boys had gotten quite close over time and now had the keys to each other's apartments, as well as the permission to come in at any time.

Alexzander came and laid down next to Arlo. "Hey".

Arlo flipped over as fast as he could. "Jes-ALEX DON'T DO STUFF LIKE THAT!"

Alexzander laughed. "Oh my god that was amazing". He said while looking at the startled boy.

Arlo pouted, "you're so mean, remind me why we're friends again?"

"Cause I make bomb ass tacos?"

"Yea probably that". Arlo smiled, he loved their banter, he had never experienced a friendship like this. He never even thought it was normal to have 'fights' with your friends all the time, even if it was just jokes.

"So is there any particular reason why you scared the crap out of me?" Arlo asked.

"I'm gonna take you out".

"Take me out, hmm?"  Asked Arlo, probably getting a little too excited. He knew Alexzander wasn't interested in him like that but he could dream, right?

"Figured you'd like some fancy dinner". Answered Alexzander.

Arlo giggled.

"I sure would, what makes you think I want it with you though?"

"You love me" Alexzander answered, and well, Arlo really couldn't argue with that. "Get dressed then, come on".

Arlo got up and ran to the bathroom,

"Alex? Fancy dinner? Do you mean FANCY dinner or just dinner?"

"Just dinner, I'm not that rich babe". Oh and oh, if that little nickname didn't make his heart flutter.

Arlo got dressed in a white button up and a navy sweater along with some black jeans and those worn out brown boots he always wore.

He thought he looked pretty cute.

"Are you almost done Ar? We need to leave now". Said Alexzander.

"Coming!" Said Arlo as he ran out of the bathroom. "How do I look?"

"Pretty fucking amazing".

Arlo blushed, if only Alexzander knew what he was doing to him.

Alexzander smiled at him. "Let's go then". And the boys left.

-~-
"Look all I'm saying is, have a bit of self respect, don't go and practically fuck each other in public, my poor virgin eyes".

Arlo snorted as Alexzander kept on complaining about the couple in the booth next to theirs, they were seated in a little snack bar and were currently eating some sandwiches.

"It's not that bad Alex, besides, there's no way you're still a virgin". Answered Arlo, still giggling.

"How would you know, have you been stalking me curly?" Asked Alexzander as Arlo blushed.

"No! You're just good looking 's all".

"Awe Ar, you really think so?" Alexzander asked him teasingly.

"Oh you know it's true, you've probably got a couple girls just waiting till you pay some attention to them". Arlo said while trying his hardest not to roll his eyes.

"Well they're gonna have to wait a long ass time then".  Said Alexzander with a certain look on his face.

Could it be?  Surely not. He probably just means something else. "Do you have a girlfriend then?"

Alexzander snorted. "Oh god no, the last time I was in a relationship, dinosaurs still existed".

Arlo laughed. "What do you mean then?"

"Oh Arlo, you oblivious, oblivious child. I like boys you dumbass". Alexzander laughed.

Arlo choked. "B-boys?" He knew he shouldn't get his hopes up, just cause he likes boys didn't mean Alexzander likes him, but that didn't stop his heart from skipping a beat.

"Don't act innocent Ar, I've seen your phone. Those shirtless pictures were quite nice but not very straight of you".

Arlo was almost as red as a tomato by the time Alexzander finished his little rant.

"Don't worry Ar, your secret is safe with me". He said and winked. Arlo thought he was gonna faint.

"Anyway let's get you home, I think they wanna close up".

The boys went home and Arlo crawled in bed, as he started singing himself to sleep he heard a faint voice singing along. He smiled knowing exactly who it was. He was so in love, he couldn't deny it anymore. He slowly closed his eyes as his singing trailed of into mumbling and the mumbling changed into soft snores.

That night he dreamed of a certain blue eyed boy, and well, he wasn't complaining.

[edited: 9th August 2016]