Alone in the dark

Dedicated to the grandfather I've never known. I was named after you and even though I have never seen your face I sometimes feel like you are watching me from heaven. I hope you feel good up there and keep looking after your family as I know you always did. To you, grandpa. Rest in peace!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                     Holly POV

The darkness is all around me now.  Now that I'm blind I have gotten used to the feeling it gives me - the velvety touch, the coldness, the fear. The loneliness, too. But this darkness is different. It reminds me things. The first days after losing my vision come to my mind and blur it.

Surely the first few weeks after the operation seemed  good or at least promised good. My friends came to me every day - to bring me some chocolates, to ask if I needed anything, to do the shopping for me, or clean the floors, or wash my clothes. But then slowly people drawed back from me. At first I thought they were just trying to give me some space. It turns out that they were, in a way, disgusted of me. Disgusted of the new me, to be certain.

Now, two years later the only thing I get from my 'friends' is an e-mail twice a year to say how busy they are and how they can't come to visit. Oh, and a birthday card. I guess I should be happy that they even remember me.

It would have been easy if I had parents, or realatives, or a caring old neighbour, but unfortunately I don't. I don't even have a pet. I suppouse I can say that I'm alone. At least most of the time I'm alone. Then there are nights like this one.

I might be blind but I can tell the time. And right now it's 3 am, so I'm supposed to be in bed asleep. But I woke up and even with my blind eyes I saw the burglar. I felt him better than he could ever feel me. He was tall, but not heavy because I barely heard his steps. In fact I couldn't be sure that there were steps at all if I didn't smell him. It was a cheap eau-de-Cologne and dust, but also some light  jasmine scent. 

Then suddenly I heard my bedroom's door open. I screamed.

- Silent, little one, silent. - So the dark is all around me now. And I'm silent. I've never been more silent. Ever.