NaLu One-Shot: Smile

My first one-shot. Oh, I'm so excited! I'm not entering the contest yet, but I'm planning to do it soon. I'm so bad at making covers. I'll ask my friend to do it for me. XD

Host of Contest: --Lucy--Heartfilia--

Won: ???

~~~

Author's POV:

"Hey, why doesn't she smile?"

"Did something happen to her?"

"I bet she looks ugly when she smiles."

...

A blonde-haired maiden was walking through the halls with her books close to her chest. Not wanting to make any eye contact, she looked towards the ground and walked straight to her next period. It was pretty easy not to look at her schoolmates, but it was harder not to hear them gossip about her.

It was always like this at school. Everyone would be minding their own business, but as soon as she comes into the picture, everybody starts talking about her. How she never smiles. How she never talks to anybody. How she doesn't have any friends. To Lucy, it was just a daily routine.

Don't make any eye contact.

Don't make any conversations with them.

Don't let them see your smile.

Those were the three main things she was concerned about. The rest didn't matter. Nobody knew why she never smiles, which led them to assume things. She thought it was disgusting how people judged others based off their appearance. Since everyone thought she looked like a sad person, she must've had a sad life.

It wasn't entirely true. She did have a happy life. It was just three years ago when all of that disappeared. Her constant chatter, her constant smile, everything. She felt as if life had been completely drained from her body. She was nothing, but a broken soul.

"Class, I present to you your newest student. Natsu Dragneel, could you be so kind as to introduce yourself to the whole class?" Lucy just arrived to her class when her principal was giving an important announcement. Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at their blonde-haired student. She kept her head down, so she wouldn't have to look at them. There it was again. The unending whispers she had to deal with. Lucy sighed before taking her seat at the very back corner of the classroom.

"Well, my name is Natsu and I'm seventeen-years-old. I like to eat, sleep, and play video games at home. Other than that, I like to play sports, hang out with my friends, and make other people happy." Lucy doesn't know why, but hearing Natsu talk about himself, intrigued her a lot. Making other people happy? She thought it was some stupid joke. Nobody could make her happy.

Nobody...

"Thank you, Natsu. Why don't you take a seat next to Miss Heartfilia over there? If you don't like it, I can move you to another table." Natsu looked at the blonde student for the first time and made eye contact with her.

Strike one...

She couldn't believe it. She let the new student look at her. Look at her lifeless, brown eyes. Without a second too soon, she looked away from the pink-haired student and focused on something else. She looked outside the window and saw rain pouring down from the dark sky.  She had forgotten to bring an umbrella with her.