Chapter Three

NeW cHaPtEr (isn't it amazing!)

Sirius awoke the next morning very early. He was confused at this, usually he wasn't fully conscious until ten o'clock at the least but it was clearly five AM. He was confused for a few seconds, until he was aware of an annoying screeching noise. It was a familiar noise he thought. He looked down at his chest, suddenly it all came back to him and he groaned. For lying on his chest, crying like there was no tomorrow was his niece. Sirius almost felt like crying like the baby, but he pulled himself together and sat up, careful to catch the baby before she crashed to the floor. Sirius dragged himself to the kitchen and rummaged through the cupboards for the baby food that had been packed away the night before. After several more minutes he came across a cupboard full of unfamiliar jars, Sirius picked one up curiously and read the label. It was baby food alright. Sirius plonked Melania into a high chair situated at his small table at the end of his small kitchen, and rummaged through the cutlery jar. There he found a small note from Lily, it read Sirius, these soft plastic spoons are for MELANIA not and I repeat NOT for you. She needs the plastic spoons because her mouth is soft and NORMAL spoons are BAD. Sirius looked from the note to the cutlery draw, and sure enough there were several, small plastic spoons. He picked one up and looked at it oddly and then at the jar and then at the baby who was getting impatient. Sirius pulled up a chair in front of Melania and put the spoon on the small tray in front of the chair, and then he opened the jar and stared at the contents in disgust. He looked up at Melania "You don't really want to eat this do you?" Obviously she did as she was glaring at him and stretching her small, pudgy hands towards the jar "Well alright then" Sirius said, he put the spoon in the jar and put a small amount of gloop on the spoon.

The next few weeks past in much the same fashion and soon enough Remus came by to see how Sirius was coping. He was greeted at the door by Sirius who looked, to put it bluntly, absolutely awful. He was slightly paler than usual; he had dark circles under his eyes. Remus thought that he looked as if he hadn't slept for days "What's wrong with you Padfoot? Sirius sighed heavily "It’s that damned baby, whenever I start to get a decent sleep she waked up and demands my presence with screaming the place down, she wants to eat, play sleep whenever I don't want to. It's been hell" he admitted. Remus walked past Sirius into the house and walked into the kitchen, as he looked around he noticed that it was an absolute mess. There were jars and bowls in the sink, boxes of cereal piled on the bench and there was all sorts of unnameable messes on the floor. "Hey Sirius" he said slowly

"Yeah"

"Um… What happened to your house?"

Sirius snorted "That baby, that’s what happened. She has started crawling now and it’s an absolute nightmare."

"WHAT! When did she start crawling?"

Sirius looked scared "Shut up, shut up, shut up" he hissed

"Why?" suddenly there was the sound of a baby beginning to cry... Sirius groaned, Remus looked guilty.

"That is why. Just give her a minute" they waited but the baby continued crying "Damn" Sirius got up and walked slowly down the hall and came back a few minutes later holding Melania in his arms. The baby had stopped crying when Sirius started rocking her and as he did so he glared at Remus. "Never do that again"