Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Somewhere in the middle of laughing I must've fallen asleep and when I woke up the next morning I was just a tiny bit scared of opening my eyes. Maybe it was because I was scared everything before that was a dream, or because I was scared Zach's reasons for going along with it weren't the same as my reasons. Or maybe I was scared that his reasons were the same as my reasons and I had no idea what I would I do if he actually liked me. It would complicate everything. Then again, everything was already pretty complicated.

I tried to decide what to do and how to act. I could go with the flow and save myself from any potential embarrassment by not acting like I liked Zach more than he did. I could just focus on the actual competition. Or I could just jump on him straight away, whether he wanted it or not. As appealing as the latter sounded, I decided it would probably be best to act normal. If there was a chance that the only reason he kissed me last night was to get his mind off his sister, then I was happy to help and wouldn't push it any further.

I left as quietly as I could to go get ready in my own room and sorted out our coaching timetable so that I wouldn't have to wake Zach up too soon, but after a few hours I got slightly worried about how long he had slept for so went into his room to wake him up.

"Zach," I whispered as I sat down on the edge of his bed, gently shaking his shoulder.

He shifted slightly and I said his name again a bit louder before he finally opened his eyes. He took a few seconds to get his bearings and probably remember what happened last night.

"Hey," he said in that knee-weakening sexy morning voice of his.

"Sleep well?" I asked, slightly apprehensively as I waited to see what he would say, if anything about the kiss.

"Unbelievably," be replied, as he looked straight at me.

I nodded as I tried searching his eyes for what he was thinking. I realised my hand was still on his shoulder from when I was waking him up and took it off while standing up again, so he could get up without me getting in the way, when he grabbed my hand and pulled me back down again.

"I wish you'd stop running away from me," he said with a chuckle, (A/N Does this make anyone else think if Tom Hanks?) as he lifted himself up so he was sitting up as well.

Confusion. Again. What did that mean? I wasn't running away from him. I was just giving him some space, right? Does that mean he didn't want space?

"And maybe stop overthinking everything I say," he said, as his hand found its way to my cheek again to tilt my head to look at him again.

"Maybe I was overthinking," I said sheepishly, "but how can you think I'm running away from you?" I asked with a small smile as I looked at him.

"Weren't you just about to leave?"

"No," I replied, with complete certainty, that I didn't know existed until I'd said it.

"Ah. Okay, that's good then," he said, dropping his hand from my cheek, which suddenly felt very cold.

"I know," I said, grinning at how innocent he looked.

"What are you grinning at?" He sounded a little flustered.

"You're just really cute sometimes," I said shrugging my shoulders, knowing how annoying he found being called cute.

He looked at me with one eyebrow raised, knowing I was just trying to provoke him.

"Now you're just asking for it," he said.

"Asking for wh - "

He moved so suddenly to start tickling me that I couldn't even finish my sentence, forget about running away.