Chapter 1: I'll Be There For You Through it All

Ashley's POV (written by misskalysta )

I watched, curled up on the leather couch as I observed Andy.
Now twenty years old, he had blossomed like a rose, lovely and fragile. Untainted innocence and sweet, unblemished perfection. I was so proud of who he'd become. It was odd to think that the cute little blonde boy I'd protected had grown up to the long haired rockstar I knew now. Through everything, through the joy and the sadness, what I felt most was pride.
Andy was living his dream each and every day. Sometimes when I looked at him, I still saw the small boy with a guitar in hand, KISS paint slathered on his face as he imagined being on that stage. I remembered the awkward teenager who played hockey in the awkward twenty year old who sang his heart out for his army. His childhood dreams were coming true..
He glanced at me, a sweet smile curving his lips. The blessed child was all grown up.. He truly was angelic, porcelain skinned and blue eyed, roses in his lips and cheeks. I remember standing over him after he was born, looking at the small cherub I had been assigned to guard and protect. He was precious then, all chubby cheeks and ruddy flush.
I watched over him in times of need and desperation, even when he stopped believing. I cast a light to guide him in his darkest moments. I tried to be the best guardian I could and somehow I failed him... I failed him and I lost everything...

But he was worth everything I gave up. Every last thing I lost in order to protect him was worth it to see his smile. I smiled back, knowing that even as a mere mortal, I would still protect him with my life. Having lost my immortal life protecting him, I'd give my mortal one too, if it meant keeping him safe. Keeping him safe was my only concern and I'd like to think I've done well at that. He'd became a hero for so many people, and I was so proud of him. His dream was becoming his reality and I got to stand with him through the highs and lows, the joys and sorrows. For that, I was grateful. For that, everything else was worth it.