Chapter 28 -Bad News

Chapter 28 – Bad news

"And hold fast, all together by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves and remember with gratitude Allah's favour on you; for you were enemies and He joined your hearts in love, so that by His Grace, you became brethren, and you were on the brink of the Pit of Fire, and He saved you from it. Thus does Allah make His signs clear to you so you may be guided."

~Surah Ali- Imran, verse 103.

Aahil sat tensed in his chair, with his left hand extended towards Waliya where she clutched it tightly. The chairs themselves were quite comfortable, yet the couple in them could not allow themselves to relax and calm down. Their nerves were short and taut as a tightrope wire. Although the little consulting room was warmly coloured in a thick, dark brown blinds, a general sized check up bed with a little yellow sheet behind a yellow curtain. The walls were decorated with a few charts of the human body and several indications of how certain viruses and diseases affected it. The wait was beginning to make Aahil agitated and irritable.

"What can be taking so long?" he growled out to Waliya.

Waliya giggled softly. "Be patient, baby. We just have to wait to hear what she says," she said weakly.

Aahil studied her profile from the side. Her eyes were closed as she leaned back in her chair, her fingers curled tightly around his hand, and her face looked pale and tired. Although he knew he was partly to blame for that. He had only allowed her to sleep for two hours before he helped her shower and get ready for their late appointment with the doctor.

The door opened and within seconds it was closed with a click. Doctor Farah Teladia was a lady of a dark complexion, with thin, yet pitch black eyebrows and a pale pink scarf on her head. Her white lab coat covered up much of her outfit so Aahil could not distinguish it. "Ah, Mr and Mrs Khan," she said as she sat down. She placed her hands on top of the desk, after laying down a brown folder and then interlocked her fingers, showing off her maroon coloured mendhi.

Waliya's eyes shot open.

"Mubarak to the both of you," she said with a grin. "Waliya is pregnant." One thousand different thoughts ran through Aahil's mind. The first one being, Shukr Ya Allah. He couldn't believe that he was going to be a father. He couldn't believe that his beautiful wife was going to be bearing his children. At last, his desire to have a home and family that he could love endlessly and spoil to the ends of the dunya was coming true. He knew that he had to inform his family –and hers, but he knew that he had to first give out Sadaqah for this little blessing in his life. "I would suggest that you book an appointment at the gynaecologist at the earliest appointment you can. I cannot tell you how far along she is. But the pregnancy test she did here confirmed it." She wrote down some vitamins and prescribed bed rest for now, until the appointment of the gynaecologist.

The confused yet happy couple thanked the doctor profusely for accommodating them at such short notice, as well as being patient enough to allow them to come in later. Upon learning that she was pregnant, Aahil had become an even worse case. He had insisted on helping her up from the chair, opening all the doors for her, going even as far as opening and closing her car door for her and holding her hand while she walked outside.

Waliya appreciated it, but she felt a tinge overcrowded, but welcomed it since she felt quite faint and weak. When they got back to their flat, Aahil had taken out her pyjamas and opened the bed for her while she changed her clothing.

"Aahil," she said softly once she was in bed. He was about to leave and bring her the flowers and chocolates he bought her. If they couldn't leave for the date, he was going to bring the date to her. Or at least, as much of the date he could. Or, he would improvise. He promised her a little couple time. Now, learning that she was pregnant, that was the greatest feeling in his life, but more than that, he was going to need to spend as much time with her as possible.