Chapter 1: Get Re-Acquainted

Dave

It felt weird being back in Harlem. Not because I didn't love my hood, I just felt different as a person. I was no longer David Brewster the drug dealer who messed up 2 basketball scholarship opportunities. Everybody was so upset I didn't go to the NBA, but that wasn't in the cards. I was now Dave East the rapper signed with a New York legend in the hip-hop game, Nas. I finally inked the deal with Mass Appeal and for the first time after months of doing shows and working on my latest mixtape I came back home. I felt accomplished and proud of myself.

I was at the basketball court with my old crew and it felt refreshing to say the least. Me, Buddha, & Zeek have been close for years. The only person we're missing is my cousin, Malik. I miss him everyday. God rest his soul. East side of Harlem or some may consider Manhattan aka Spanish Harlem was home and always will be.

I dapped some kids on the court saying what's up. "Where the girls at? Y'all supposed to have the girlies watching y'all hoop?" I asked one of the youngin's. "Am I right or am I wrong?" I said turning to one of my homies laughing.

It was bitter sweet being back in New York especially after I lost so many people I loved. My granny, my auntie who was like a second moms to me, & my favorite cousin, Malik aka Freaky. I missed them so much I thought to myself starting to space out.

That was until my homie, Zeek, started nudging me like he lost his mind then started pointing. "I done told yo ass bout that shit! Quit pointing! Like yo momma didn't give you any home training, dawg." My other homie, Buddha said pushing his arm down.

"Man, whatever! Just look! She's bad as hell!" He said nodding towards across the street where I saw a chick walking.

"Ain't that Bernice?" I stared intently trying to figure it out. That body looked like hers. It was her. I could tell by the walk, her skin tone, and her hair. Last time I heard about her she was out in Florida doing some things she shouldn't, but who am I to judge?

Next thing you know I was running across the street. She was walking really fast to be wearing high heels. I started jogging to catch up. "Excuse me! Bernice!?" I could be wrong, but I know that's her. She's always been curvy, but now it's a grown woman thick. She was on the phone, but finally turned around putting her phone down. She stopped and I ran up to her.

Breathing hard and putting my hands on my hips I said, "Walking fast as hell. Gotta a nigga out of breath!" She smiled, but seemed unamused. "I'm guessing you don't recognize me?"

"Should I?" It wasn't in a rude tone, but I could tell she wasn't here for it this morning. I could see her looking me up and down and I did the same to her. She had her hair in a bun, a matching black blazer & pencil skirt, classic Chanel bag, & black Christian Louboutin pumps. She must be heading to work. Still beautiful nonetheless.

"Yeah you should, BB! Hurts my feelings you don't remember little ol' David." I said dramatically sniffing and wiping an imaginary tear.

She looked down trying to hide her smile. "I haven't heard that name in forever!" She looked up again saying, "And if we're being fair you're not so little anymore and you look totally different."

"True." Last time she saw me I wasn't at my current height of 6'5", I had no tattoos, no facial hair, & had those fuzzy broke nigga braids. "Is that a good thing?" I added referring to her choice of words.

"No offense, but yeah." She laughed. "You look good. Great. Handsome." She said touching my face making me smile.

"Aw, quit flattering me. Got a nigga blushing!" We both laughed. "You look good too, but that's nothing new. You've always been gorgeous."