Chapter 3

I woke up sleeping in my bed with Zach. I could hear his breathing as I laid across his chest. His arms wrapped protectively around me. Our parents let us have sleep over's all the time because they knew we wouldn't do anything, not till much later. Back to the point; I tried not to think about the night before.

I was unsuccessful.

The tears started coming. They turned into sobs. He couldn't leave, not now. School was starting soon and I would need him; bad. I loved this boy more than I knew. I didn't know what I would do without him, even if we were friends, I couldn't live without him. My tears were coming full on now and I was shaking. I saw his eyes open and cried harder at the thought of how much longer I would get to see them.

He shot straight up, a worried look on his face, "Rosie, what's wrong?"

He rubbed my back and kissed my cheek, he pulled me in and cradled me into a hug.

"You.... Can't..... Leave..." I managed between sobs. I held him tighter. He wasn't going anywhere, not if I had anything to do with it.

"I know, I don't want to leave either. But I haven't told you the best part," he held my chin and turned me to face him, "It's not forever, 6 months, that's it."

I could barely smile, the "not forever" part was good, but 6 months was still a long time.

There was still one part I was afraid of, "where are you moving to?"

He grimaced. I couldn't bear it, it was to the other side of the world probably.

"California."

Here they come again, stupid tears. How many of these did I have to spare anyway?!?! I crumpled into him. California was still in the country (I was kind of exaggerating about the world thing, but you know...) but it was the other side of the country.

He sat me up on the side of the bed and kissed me. A lot. I mean make all the tears stop and put all my energy into it. I had to admit, if he was trying to distract me, it was working.

He pulled away and smiled my favorite smile, "That's my girl."

"Sorry, I'm acting like such a baby about all this! But I don't think I'm going to be able to handle it. You being gone. I'm going to have to visit you at least once," I tell him, a very serious look on my face. I wasn't kidding, I was getting small job this year, getting paid under the counter. I could afford it if I saved every penny and started early.

I laid back down, covering my face with my hands. I couldn't think straight. Then, something crossed my mind that I hadn't thought about.

"Why are you moving in the first place? And only for 6 months to California, it almost sounds like you will barely be there."

Zach sighs and runs his hands through his hair like he always does, "I really don't even know. My parents won't tell me and Jackie doesn't know a thing either." (btw, Jackie is his older sister. She is 17.)

My heart started racing, "But you're positive you're not moving there for good, right?"

"100%, that's the only thing they've told us. That it's just a onetime thing, and that's all I know," he says as he grabs my hand and presses it to his cheek.

"Good," I whisper as I sit back up to give him a hug. But it wasn't the kind of hug I was used to. It seemed like we would never hold each other again and we were just soaking up every last drop of it.