Chapter 4

I walked across the front lawn of my small house. The book bag on my shoulder dug into my skin giving me a bright red rash that I knew would hurt in the morning. But I didn't care. The only thing I was concerned about was what would happen to me when I walked into that door. I walked up the concrete steps onto my porch and didn't hesitate to open the door, even though I was shaking so hard I made even the door handle rattle. I stepped into my house and smelled cookies baking, if this was the exact situation two years ago I might've smiled and announced my arrival. But now I didn't even bother wasting time to kick off my shoes as I ran around the corner to the stairs that led to the bedrooms.

I crept up the stairs and peeked into the bright yellow room that used to be mine, but now it was filled with my parents crap. I heard my 14 year old brothers blasting music from across the hall as I continued to my new room. The attic. I walked in holding my breath because it smelled like rotting animal in here. I really needed to check that out.

The room was drafty and was full of our old junk. I'd dragged my bed up there with the help of Sam (my brother, who was one year older than me)  A/N: This is a flashback so she's only 13. I also managed to hide my important things under my clothes when my dad pulled me up the stairs by my ear and spat on me. But I was lucky. They still let me live here as long as I didn't disturb them.

I put my school bag down and took out my homework. Even though my home life sucked I could still go to a good College and get out of here, if that was even possible... I heard steps on the stairway to the attic and I quickly ran over to my bed and hid behind the headboard. The door creaked open and I shivered at the sound thats been torturing me for the past two years. It was a sound that lead to my parents yelling at me in disgust and treating me like they didn't know who I was.

"Clary? Are you in here?"

I let go of the breath I'd been holding as I looked around the headboard to see Sam.

"Hey Sam." 

Sam had my mothers blond hair and brown eyes. We didn't even look related.  I looked more like my father and trust me, my father didn't mind telling me how he hated that every day. Sam looked me up and down with sadness in his eyes. Since it was summer I was in shorts and a tank top which exposed the bruises I had received from my peers.

"What's up?" I asked him sitting on my bed. I didn't want him to see me like this. He was the only person in the world besides Matt's family that loved me. Sam walked quickly to me and hugged me, I could feel him shaking.

"I just heard mom and dad talking in the den," Sam said quietly, I tensed up knowing they were talking about me, "They where talking about kicking you out. Today."

Sam released me from the hug and sat on the bed next to me. He looked at me trying to find an emotion. But I had none. I was sick of them. I wanted them gone. They ruined my life.  I was their daughter and they treat me like a monster. Well maybe I was a monster. I should show them how much of a monster I am. I stood up quickly and walked to a cluttered corner in the attic to grab a cardboard box filled with pictures. Pictures of me with my 'family'.  I looked at them with disgust. I picked up the heavy box with no problem and dumped the pictures on the ground, the glass shards going everywhere. Sam gasped and pleaded for me to stop, telling me they would hear me. But I didn't give two shits. I wanted them to hear. I filled the empty box with my clothes and possessions quickly and grabbed my bag. I was only 13 so I didn't have a phone but it didn't matter, I just wanted to leave. I power walked to the door and grabbed the knob and yanked, the door hinges broke and I threw it backwards into the dark attic. I was happy that the creaking sound that haunted me would never be heard again.