Chapter 13 - Bad Luck

enjoy this lil bit of much needed context to Piper in general

Song: Pool - Paramore

My luck could possibly be the worst thing to ever exist.

I literally take one step out the door and come face to face with Molly. We regarded each other for a brief second before she spoke quietly, keeping her voice low so no one would hear her.

"What are you doing?"

"Getting food, what are you doing?" I asked her, furrowing my brows at her, shifting uncomfortably at her proximity.

"Trying to find some weed. I'll pay for it if you pay for food." She offered. I mulled it over for a second, not jumping at the opportunity to share a joint with my ex, but hey, bud is bud.

"Sure."

--

I wasn't someone to smoke a regularly, I had the tendency to get paranoid if I had too much so I kept it to whenever I felt particularly antsy. Contrary to popular belief I don't completely love being a total asshole and getting into fights all the time. It was nice to chill out sometimes, it was a luxury I rarely got.

Lately though, what with everything that's been going on I felt that need to unwind. The plane journey still had me rattled, along with all the weirdness that had been going on with me and Mitch lately.

We meandered down the quiet street, keeping close to the beachfront just to be safe. We walked in an almost companionable silence with the low background sound of the crashing waves being our quiet soundtrack. I tried not to think about how my chest ached with a distant nostalgia.

I quickly rummaged around my pockets and found a pack of straights, I blew a small sigh of relief and popped one in my mouth, before I could even realise I hadn't actually brought a lighter out with me a small flame burst into life in front of my face as Molly lit my cigarette for me. I said nothing but handed her a cigarette out of thanks, feeling like I owed her. She took it and lit it quickly, seeming to share this odd discomfort I was also feeling. It was weird really, I had half expected her to make a jab at me as soon as we left the hotel, but she remained quiet and almost... nervous?

We wandered around for a while whilst Molly found someone to buy off of, she ended up finding a guy who was nothing short of a giant creep but he left without needing any encouragement from me. I managed to relax slightly as we sat down on the beach, Molly rolled up and I got another wave of sadness as nostalgia struck once again, this time stronger.

We used to spend our time like this when we were together, Molly, with all her issues, had a particular fondness for weed. I never asked why, I never questioned Molly's actions when we were together.

We became an item when I was new to St Marys, I had never been in a situation like it before, so I'd felt extremely vulnerable. She was there, she sat by me in History and a friendship quietly kindled into something more. I didn't know it at the time but I depended on her, that was the basis of our relationship. I depended on her and she was aware of it the whole time. She used it as a weapon against me, that and her lies.

We constantly smoked in our free time, whenever we had a moment we'd disappear off for a joint, it was the reason I developed anxiety for a short time, but I never wanted to disappoint her so I never stopped. She played on our age difference massively, me at the time being 15 and her being 16 I looked up to her as well as loved her, she led me to think she knew best, that she was wise and that she was the only person I needed to trust because she was older.