Chapter 68: Pictures

Tom fell asleep on the chair next to Katie's bedside, he still couldn't believe what had happened, why Katie? Why did it have to be her? He would keep asking himself these questions. Round about eleven at night a nurse came and woke Tom up to tell him that his dad was there to pick him up. Tom sighed and gave one last look at Katie before walking out the door to meet his dad.

When Tom and Michael got home Tom didn't say anything even though Michael was trying hard to make a conversation with him. As Tom ran upstairs he slammed his bedroom door shut blocking everything out and lay on his back on the bed letting out a sigh. He felt tears blur his vision of his white plain ceiling but blinked them back trying to swallow the hard lump in his throat. Turning his head he caught the glimpse of a photo hanging on the wall near his bed, he lightly pulled it off and stared at it smiling to himself. If was him, Katie and Quinn back at summer when they went to a theme park.
~flashbacks~
"Tom you do know we're going to be cooling off by going on the waltzers." Katie said as her Tom and Quinn were walking between crowds of people.
"I'm hungry." Quinn whined.
Katie rolls her eyes, "your always hungry."
"Look we can cool off with those lollies over there." Tom suggested pointing to the lolly stall down near the bottom of the park.
"Are you joking me? If we eat one of them now and then go on a ride we'll be sick." Katie said.
"Katie relax, you worry too much, come on." Tom said beckoning them over.
When the trio got their lollies they decided to take a selfie on Tom's phone. After Tom managed to download it onto his laptop and he printed it out.
~end of flashback~
Tom smiled to himself as he sat up and leant on the headboard of his bed, and opened his draw to find a bunch of other photos in a pile, Tom quickly looked through them there was even old ones from back when they were in year 5 in their primary school uniforms, Tom remembered he snuck his camera into school and they were in one of the classrooms hiding under the tables while the teacher was outside. Tom held the camera up and all he found cute was how young they all looked. Quinn's blonde hair was flattened on his forehead but was swooped to the side at the same time. Back then Katie's hair was naturally straight but she had plaited it the night before so it was all wavy in her ponytail, she also had a fringe which made Tom chuckle. Tom on the other hand had his hair already spiked up and he was doing a weird looking pose which he obviously thought was really cool back then.
As Tom got to the end of pile they were the more serious photos, he'd gone past all the silly ones and then there were ones which really got Tom the most. One of them was the one with back when they were 11 and they were trying to cheer Quinn up from his "dad's" death. The other photo was quite recent of Tom and Katie taken a couple of months ago back in the park, Tom had his arm round her and they were both smiling, it hit Tom as everything that happened to Katie back at the fire came flooding back.
He lay back down on the bed and wasn't afraid for one tear to slip as he clutched the picture tight in his hand, there was a knock on his door but Tom didn't answer.
As the door opened Ursula came into view with a sympathetic smile on her face as she came and sat on the edge of his bed. Tom sniffed up and quickly wiped the tears away with his hands.
"Oh, Thomas." Ursula said touching his hand.
"Gran there's nothing I can do, she's going to die." Tom said.
"No she's not Thomas, believe in her." Ursula tells him.
Tom doesn't say anything for a while letting his thoughts sink in. Ursula glances at the picture he was still holding and she smiles again, "you've got to believe that she will get better."
She walks out of the room and shuts the door lightly.
As Tom glances at the picture one more time he puts it in his dressing table and turns over to one side until he finally falls asleep.

This was a short chapter I started last night I'm sorry if it's too boring I'll make the next chapter longer if I have time to type it up.
Holly xx