Chapter 13 Lies

I stared after Devin as he began leisurely walking down along the river, kicking every rock he stumbled upon. My mind flashed back to the words he had just spoken, 'Are you Pans girlfriend? Is he keeping you here too?'. "What did you- I mean, is she-" I stuttered, feeling utterly annoyed with myself for not being to ask what I wanted to ask.

"Is she what?" He turned around to face me, resting his thumbs on the loops of his belt that held his knife.

"Were they a thing? Pan and Wendy?"

I jumped, startled at the sound of his immediate laughter that bounced off of the towering trees, his head falling back. He rested his hand on his stomach as he attempted to collect himself a few seconds later, wiping an invisible tear away. "Pan and- Oh god. She hates every fiber of his being. No they're not a 'thing'!" He made air quotes with his fingers as he said the word 'thing'. "No. Never. They barely know each other."

"But shes his prisoner. They have to know each other." I insisted, stepping closer to the smirking boy.

"Shes the islands prisoner. Pan could care less if she's here or not."

"Then why is she in a cage? Why doesn't he just let her go?" I placed my hands on my hips.

"Pan doesn't let anyone go, have you met him? It's about power. No one leaves the island unless they have Pans permission, something he rarely gives." He sat down roughly, wrapping a few blades of grass around his fingers and tugging.

I joined him, running my hands over my thighs as I watched his hands. "And the cage?"

"She's a bit defiant." He responded easily.

"Well," I paused, thinking hard about my next question. "How did she get here? I thought the shadow only takes the people Pan orders it to."

"It does. There's a boy, I don't know his name, but he's originally from the Enchanted Forest. Pans very interested in him for some reason. Before he could get his hands on him though, the boy fell through a portal that took him to a land without magic." My head shot up suddenly, flashing back to a conversation I had had with Bae. Shaking my head in attempt to clear my thoughts, I nodded for him to continue.

"He met Wendy and was quickly becoming part of the family when the shadow appeared and took him away."

"He's here?" I exclaimed. "Does Wendy know? Is that why she's locked up?"

He chuckled at my eagerness. "No to all three. The boy escaped the shadow and ended up with a pirate, one of Pans allies turned enemy. Wendy called the shadow back and-"

"How do you call the shadow?"

He looked irritated as I interrupted, furrowing his eyebrows together. "You have a child say the words 'I believe'. Anyway, her brother called it and before it could take him she grabbed on and ended up here."

"How do you know all of this?" I asked, snapping my head to right suddenly as a chuckle rang out.

"He's extremely well at eavesdropping on private conversations, or at least he thinks he is." With a nod of Pans head Devin was on his feet and dashing back towards camp, leaving me to the demon with the beautiful eyes.

"So," He approached me as I rose to my feet. "So many questions."

"I was just curious about the girl."

"Ah, a noble one she is, coming to rescue her friend with nothing but positive thoughts and determination. I bet it came as quite a shock when that drive was the thing that got her locked up."

"Who is the boy?" I ignored his comment.

"What boy?" Pan cocked his head to the side, as if he had no idea what I was talking about.

"You can't lie to me, remember?" I pointed to his wrist. "Tell me who the boy is you're after."

"I'm seeking a few people actually princess, you'll have to be more specific."

"The boy from my world that went to a land without magic." Pan smirked at me, watching as the answer formulated in my mind. "It's Bae isn't it."

"You think I would hurt one of your friends?" He raised one eyebrow, walking closer to me, his foot crunching over a few fallen leaves, ringing out a bit louder than the soft rushing of the stream.

"That's not a denial."

"That's not an agreement either." He stopped directly in front of me, reaching for my hand which I reluctantly allowed him to grasp, pressing his palm against mine. "I've never seen Baelfire before." 

I waited for the burning sensation in my wrist to come, but it never did. He was telling the truth, he had to be. "I didn't know I used his full name, I thought I only called him Bae around you."

He laughed, raising my hand, wrapping both of his around mine and pressing a chaste kiss to his name on my wrist, dropping it shortly after. He stuck his hands in his pocket as he strolled away from me, casually calling to me over his shoulder. "See you back at camp."