Angel eyes

-Jeff Healey Band, Angel Eyes-

The last weekend before our next tour we were gathered at my house. My mum and Josh were out for the evening.
Oddball, Ethan, Selma and Evan were sat in the living room. We were planning to watch a movie and relax before going back into rock star life.

Simon was sat in the kitchen, placed within view of the others but not looking up. He looked like he was preparing for the world to end, not go on a tour.
I walked in and sat down oposite him.
His blue eyes locked on mine.
He looking nervous.
Terrified.
But at the same time there was a softness there. As if he was trying not to smile.
He was chewing on his lip as if he was looking for words.

"I don't know what to do, Izzy," he muttered.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

He drew a deep breath and a shaky exhale.

"First of all... You were right," he said.

"About what?" I asked.

"About me not being in love with you. I mean... I care about you. But that crush I had on you when I was 16... I think I just hung on to it and made it more than it was," he said.

"Well done, Sherlock. So what brought on this revelation?" I asked feeling a smirk on my face.

He looked sheepish.

"You know we were doing that scene for the first video? I spent most of that day wondering why I wasn't turned on. Why I wasn't more exited. I mean. It was fun. But nothing more," he said.

I nodded.

"When I thought I was in love with you. It was comfortable. Safe. You were safe. I thought that was it," he said quietly.

I sat there, not saying anything. Waiting for the next bit.

"I didn't know it could be like this!" He sighed and rubbed his face with his hands.

I felt a slow smile spread across my face.
Simon looked as if he was half in pain while the rest of him wanted to do cartwheels.
I reached across and took his hand. He returned my smile.

"It's like the oxygen is sucked out of the room. And all I see is her," he whispered with his hand indicating the living room.

His eyes took on a sad look and his smile faded.

"I've always wanted this. Be a rock band on a real tour. With our own music videos. Promo stuff. Album release. But now.... I am thinking about the six months of touring and all I can think about is it will be six months without her.... and it's killing me!" He sighed.

There was a vulnerability about him I had never seen before.

Suddenly he looked up at me with a stricken expression.

"Fuck. Ethan is going to kill me!" He said.

"For what?" I asked, fighting down a smirk.

"I've always been such a fuck up with girls. I know how to get them into bed. But that's where it stops. Ethan has been my wingman enough times to know that... And now... Fuck... Izzy..." Simon panicked.

I looked over towards the other room where Oddball and Evan were telling the other two about some mystery date Evan had taken Oddball on to celebrate their anniversary.
So cute.
Ethan was laughing. Selma was sat picking at a nail looking completely crushed. I looked back at Simon, who's eyes were on her.
He turned back to me.

"What am I supposed to do?" He asked.

"Ask her out?" I said.

He shook his head forcefully.