Ch.1- Stop Pretending

Rowan's P.O.V

The lights were dim at the small acoustic session, an attempt to make the whole thing feel more intimate, but the smiles on everyone's faces was enough to illuminate the room and flush Sabrina's beautiful face. I was in the back of the room, waving back at one of the disabled/sick kids every now and then but mostly happily watching my best friend make the cancer babies happy.

"Cuz I'm not too young." Sabrina finished singing and the room erupted with applause. 

Of course, as her best friend and practical sister, I was the loudest. She said goodnight to the crowd ran off the stage with a smile on her face, her blonde hair bouncing as she ran. I went to go find her and congratulate her on yet another great performance, although the fact that it was over brought an icy nervousness to my stomach. After this, we head right over to set.

"Rowboat, over here!"

"Hey, Sabby!" I replied jogging up to her and hugging her. 

"You did amazing!"' I squealed, despite the rabid butterflies in my stomach that were doubling by the second.

"Thanks" she replied. 

"Now we have to go get to set, you have your big kissing scene with Corey today!" She reminded me oozing with excitement. 

The nervousness moved from my stomach to my chest as I grimaced and started to walk with Sabrina to the golf cart that would bring us to the other side of the building. I've loved Corey since the first day I met him in middle school. He always had this effect on me I couldn't explain but I loved it. 

"I know I do Sabrina, don't make me more nervous," I responded quietly looking at the floor to hide my blush. 

"Please I couldn't make you more nervous if I tried!" she replied smirking, having no mercy on me.

I should've known. I mean, she's shipped the two of us since I turned 13. 

"You and Cor just need to stop pretending and date!" she sighed, seemingly out of nowhere, clearly frustrated. 

I glared at her and looking out at the shrinking acoustic stage as the golf cart sped up. 

"I'm not pretending about anything." I spat, lying through my teeth.  

The rest of the ride was a tense silence but I could tell Sabrina wouldn't just drop the situation. She never just drops the situation--stubborn Sab, that's what we call her. We finally reached set right as they were calling for scene #4 (the kiss) in Girl Meets Choices. I was right about Sabrina not dropping the subject.

"Sure your not. I bet by the end of today you gonna be making out with him in the bathroom." Sabrina replied a small smirk threatening to surface as she laughed a little.

I shot her a cold look even though it contrasted with my hot cheeks. I was about to reply with something snarky, perhaps threaten to slap that smirk off her face but someone jogged up behind me.

"Hey, Rowan! Ready for this scene?" Corey asked as soon as he reached Sab and I.

"Uhh, sure! I hope you're a good kisser" I replied weakly laughing. 

I was way too nervous. This is just Corey we're talking about. Only my sweet little Corey baby. My best friend. So why am I so damn nervous? Oh yeah, because I've liked him since forever--I almost forgot.

Corey chuckled a half-a-step too late after my response, clearly faking it, before he pulled me to the bay window set.

******
Farkle: "Riley stop overreacting!"

Riley: "I'm not overreacting! Farkle, you can't just dump someone. Especially, not someone who's as sensitive as Smackle--just 'cuz you happen to like someone else!"

Farkle: "I had to OK?! So stop yelling at me! Especially, since you'll never know who the person is if you keep yelling!"

Riley: "Who is it then? Just tell me!"

Farkle: "That's what I've been trying to tell you! But maybe you can't think of anything but your perfect Rileytown. What about me, huh?"

Riley: "Really? REALLY? Ok, honestly you are so annoying!"

Farkle: "I annoy you? Great. Perfect, Good!"

Riley: "W-Well, Good!"

Farkle: "Fin-eh!"

Riley: "Fin- e-

Farkle: *Kisses Riley*

Riley: "...F-Farkle?" 

Farkle: "I couldn't hide it anymore Riley. See you at school...*stars to leave*"

Riley: "Farkle, wait!"

Farkle: "Yah?"

Riley: "...Nothing. See you tomorrow."
*******
"And... Cut!" Micheal yelled, as the bell signaling the end of the take rang.

 Corey and I awkwardly stared at each other, Corey's face red as a tomato and mine probably just as, if not more, red with my nervous blush. I felt all tingly from kissing him. 

I took a deep breath, thinking of what Sabrina said. This is my chance. While the moment is still fresh in his mind and he remembers how he feels. I have to ask now.

"Hey, Corey?" I started. 

"Yah Row?" He responded really quickly. 

I tried not to lose all my confidence as I formed words in my brain and tried to force words to leave my mouth.

"What did you think of the scene?" I mumbled, more or less doing as little as possible.

"It was great, I guess" he responded sounding almost disappointed. 

"Ireallyneedtotalktoyou," I ended up blurting. 

"In your dressing room. Please?" I said the last part slower. He nodded and we headed toward his dressing room.

He opened the door and I plopped down on the couch immediately. 

"Whats wrong Rowboat?" Corey asked sitting down.

"I don't know how to say this but I really, really, really, really, real--" I babbled before getting cut off. 

"You really what row?!?!?!?" He pushed, brushing some hair out of his eyes. 

"I really, really l-like .... y-you. A lot." I said slowly listening to every word as if hearing it for the first time. 

I watched his face go from grim to poor light, to plain. Now it was filled with utter shock.

"Rowan, I like you too." He replied giving me a genuine smile and kissing be on the cheek

"That so great! I was worri-" I started but got cut off once again. 

"But we can't be together" he whispered and I felt as though I had been stabbed in the chest. 

What does he mean we can't be together. I finally stopped pretending, now it's his turn.

**officially edited**