2❀ Will you smile tomorrow?

Alec P.O.V:

"You are going to love the party!"

Brianna Johnson, my ex-girlfriend, ex-business partner, looked at me; her ash blonde hair was styled down in waves of soft curls. Her hair was long. Long enough to cover her breast. She was everything I hated. Fake boobs. Flashy clothes. Fake personality. Her crimson cocktail dress screamed New York Fashion week. I wanted to tell her this was a horrible idea. I could not stand being near her anymore.

Do it for the children. I screamed in my head. I knew that if I entertained her enough, she would open her wallet for the New York children's hospital. I should be wanting to celebrate the amount we had already raised, but nothing ever felt enough to me. I wanted more. I wanted to save as many children as I could. Kids who didn't have the money to fix their broken hearts.

"Alec, you can still back out."  She touched me in a gentle manner. I knew how she felt about me, but the feelings were not reciprocated. I hated the way she looked at me... pity me for my heart.

"You know I can't." I pushed the annoyance back. "I'm ready." I heard myself saying the words, but deep inside, I knew they were a lie. Everything in my life was a lie. It had been a lie since the day I was diagnosed with heart failure. I was just living down the minutes until the darkness took me.

"Fine, everyone and anyone who is important will be here tonight. I can't wait for you to see how amazing it looks inside. If I may say so, I did a fantastic job." She blurted out, and if there was one thing about Brianna that I loathe the most was her awful need for compliments and attention.

The car came to a stop saving me from having to answer her and I stepped out of the car before I told her to fuck off, and without another option I came around to open the door for her. As she stepped out of the limo, I couldn't help but look up at the company that I had created. The big silver words of  'Armstrong Communications' made me think of how the company was only an idea five years ago. It had grown so much since then, and I owed it all to my mother.

If only she could be here to see that my dreams had become a reality.

"Come on, Alec, everyone is waiting." Brianna took my arm, and we walked up the steps that led into the building, and soon, people were welcoming us. I wished Brianna hadn't made this party such a big fancy affair. But as she says, drunk people make bigger donations.

My employees and friends welcomed me. I plastered the fakes smile I could handle.

Everyone was looking at me. Brianna handed me a champagne flute, and I knew I had to say a few words. "Thank you all for coming and reaching deep into your hearts for a special foundation. I can only imagine as someone struggling with an awful disease how many parents feel. I want to help as many children as I can and leave behind a legacy worth being remembered. So please look deep into your hearts and donate as much as you can." With that, everyone cheered, and I down my drink.

Yeah, I drank down my pain. Emptiness.

"Alec, darling." My sister Aurora approached me and hugged me, "Mom would be so proud of you." She planted a kiss on my cheek, and her green eyes sparkled the same way my mother's did. She was the spit image of her with silky brown hair that reached her waist and an elegance that only kind woman radiated. At times, it made it hard to look at her. As she was pulling away, my eyes took in the last person I would want here. The one person I order Brianna not to invite.

"Alec." My name leaves his mouth, and I fought the anger that his voice stirred within me.

"Father." I hissed. I didn't attempt to hide the hate in my voice.

"I'm surprised this place has been able to stay running for this long." He laughed and took a sip of his drink. I wanted to punch him in the face, but I knew I couldn't make a scene right here. "Perhaps you did learn a lot from me after all."