Chapter Four~ My Temporary Home

The train came to a stop and Miri and Gata made there way off of the train. Gata led Miri down a flight of stairs towards an elevator which took them back up a flight.

"Weren't we just on this level?" Miri asked. Gata stopped suddenly, looked out into space, nodded to herself then kept on walking.

"Gata?" Miri inquired. She didn't want to be to pushy in case Gata had a temper.

'Shh!" Gata hushed her. Miri shut her mouth and didn't argue. They rounded a corner and went out the doors of the train station. Miri had no idea what that was about but didn't question it. If there was one thing she learned from Mrs. Prewitt, when a woman is concentrating, let them be. Gata led them down a road. Cars were parked by the sidewalk and shops were scattered around the brick buildings. People passed them by giving them curious looks. Gata's flowing robe made her look almost mysterious and to Miri, she was. Miri was still unsure about this Lady. She did trust Mrs. Prewitt though. The sky held overcast and dark clouds in the distance promised some heavy rain. Miri gulped at the unfamiliar scenery. She had underestimated this trip by a long shot. First off, she hadn't expected to have someone house her being that she wasn't expecting to stay over night but now she knew home would be a long journey away. Second, she hadn't the slightest feeling Mrs. Prewitt had a sister maybe a bit more of a nutter than herself. And third, she can't even return home unless an adult is with her. Miri was getting slightly queasy about the whole thing.

"Here, here." Gata said, ushering Miri around another bend then towards a little shop at the end of the street. The shop windows were veiled by curtains and the door had curtains blocking the window built onto it. Gata took out a rather large looking key and opened the door. Miri was perplexed that Gata hadn't chosen to use a wand since no muggles were on this part of the street. Either way, she followed Gata inside. The door shut heavily behind them and Gata locked it. She made sure the sign on the door was flipped to closed then peaked out the curtains covering the windows.

"Questionable." she muttered then went over to her desk. 

"Gata, what's the matter?" she asked softly, not trying to disturb the lady. Gata's eyes flickered over to Miri.

"Nothing my dear. Rough times, as you've guessed." Gata stated then took out a big book onto her desk. Miri nodded not sure what she had guessed. She took in the small shop. Candles decorated all of the shelves on the walls and what Miri almost thought were bookshelves, were filled with incenses and scented wax figurines. As Miri stepped towards them, the candles on the walls lit up. Some lit up a shade of purple or red instead of the traditional orange. Beeds threaded onto pieces of fabrics were draped from the bookshelves making a sort of mystic touch. Books on palm readings and fortune tellings, took up the bottom and top bookshelves. In all only about four bookshelves were in the cozy store. As Miri wandered towards the back of the shop, she saw antique lamps and candle holders. A bit of jewelry hung from hooks on the wall as well as some quills. Fascinated, Miri walked around almost in a daze, daring to touch anything that didn't look too fragile. Finally she went back up to the desk where Gata was.

"Gata?" Miri asked.

"Hmmm? Yes, deary?" She wondered looking up from her book. She had on a pair of specticles that looked like two eggs on their sides.

"You said my f-father liked to come in here?" Miri said, dropping her bag my her feet. Gata's eyes glittered a bit. She pursed her lips a bit and nodded.

"He'd stand right there, right where your standing, when he wanted to talk to me." She said. Miri took a deep breath and memorized where she was standing.

"You look a bit like him, you know. You've got his black hair except your's is more curly, i suppose. And you've got his eyes. Those eyes more like a thunder storm. He told me your mother's eyes were lighter and a bit more blue than his own. And yet you have that mysterious tone about you. He had as well." Gata told Miri. Miri's face was thought full. Miri noticed Gata seemed to approve of her father yet there is still that question of why Regulus and Violetta weren't together and why had Miri really had to live with the Weatherfords.

"Did you ever meet his family?" Miri asked. Gata fiddled with one of her rings.

"No. His family didn't really like him coming here. Often they'd send Regulus's brother in after him to tell him to come home." Gata said, sighing.

"You mean Sirius Black?" Miri said, her voice quivering a bit.

"Yes. Headstrong boy, not really as appreciate of my belongings as your father. Ah but he was charming." Gata explained.

"Did he ever cross you as . . ."

"A murderer?" Gata guessed. Miri swallowed hard but nodded, "No. Not at all. Regulus told me about how reluctant about the Dark Arts he was. He didn't strike me as one to kill a friend as well as surrounding muggles. But i guess my intuition was pretty bad back then, wasn't it?"

"So it was a shock to you that he did that?" Miri asked further.

"I know nothing. I don't believe much of the news papers these days. Sirius becoming a murderer, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named being dead, Harry Potter being accused of everything under the sun. Rubbish it is to me." Gata said.

"You-you believe You-Know-Who is still alive?" Miri asked, her voice getting smaller. Gata closed her eyes for a few seconds before reopening them.

"Alive? Barely. He is still there, wherever there might be. For all anyone knows, he could be dead but i'm not too keen on forgetting his power." Miri glanced around. Gata stood up and walked from behind her desk over towards a lit candle.

"I think now would be a good time to become settled. After all, we have a lot of answers to find out." Gata said.

"We?" Miri questioned.

"Yes. I'm not letting you rome around all on your own. Be aware i will have to leave you soon but not now that's we've not even begun." Gata smiled a bit, "Now follow me, chicet, i have a room upstairs for you." Gata led Miri to a small bedroom with a single bed a trunk, a bookshelf loaded with books, and a small dresser.

"Gata, you knew i was coming didn't you. You knew i was coming even before i knew it." Miri stated. Gata's mouth twitched into a small smile.

"Clever girl. Now get settled. I'll make some tea for us downstairs." Gata said before leaving Miri in her thoughts. Miri set her bag down next to the dresser and took off the locket Gata gave her.

It's strange. It's strange how my father had suddenly dissapeared and no one pays a second thought.

***

Sorry it's so short. These past chapters are really about Miri figuring out about her father and what she has to do to figure out more about her family. I'll upload soon! Thanks for the comments and votes! I hope it will get better for you guys!

<3 M